This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOCKERILL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOCKERILL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1101605

Location

HOCKERILL RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL, DUNMOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishop's Stortford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5253 DUNMOW ROAD (North Side)

Hockerrill Residential School TL 42 SE:6/16

II

2. Former Church of England Elementary Schoolmistresses' residential college by Joseph Clarke, 1852. Tudor Gothic style. Diaper patterned red brick walls with stone dressed doors and windows. Old red tile pitched roofs with Hampton Court style brick chimneys. Quadrangular plan, 2 storeys. West garden front, formerly entrance: 5 windows with central Tudor doorway beneath traceried, crenellated oriel retaining original latticework. Split level roof with stone coping. Mullioned and transomed ground floor windows and single first floor dormitory lights. It continues on south in 1 1/2 storeys. Porch and 2 windows, then U-plan, 5 window block facing south. Gable ends and large mullioned and transomed windows on south and west. Gabled porch on south-west corner. Main south front, now entrance, is 7 windows; 3 on east, a 1924 addition. Modern porch. East front has central projecting single storey chapel. 1878 by J Clarke. Plain red brick, steep red tile roof. Early English style, 4 lancets to sides and triad on east gable end. West gable has ornamental tiles and wooden belfry. Chapel interiors: open trussed rafter roof, stone sedilia, piscina and book recess. Organ loft over west end. Interior of quadrangle. Traceried tie beam ceiling in former assembly hall on west side. In north-east corner room is a late C19 large stone Perpendicular style fireplace. Late C19 additions on north-east of quadrangle. Modern cloisters. Good example of mid C19 college architecture. (Pevsner second Ed Rev (1977) 103).

Listing NGR: TL4958421391

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 103

National Grid Reference: TL 49584 21391

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 04:09:12.

End of official listing