This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LYCHGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYCHGATE

List entry Number: 1101869

Location

LYCHGATE, ANSTEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Anstey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4032 ANSTEY ANSTEY (North side)

7/2 Lychgate 22.2.67

GV II

Lychgate incorporating a lockup. C15 or earlier, lockup enclosed in flint and brick walls in 1831. Timber frame on red brick sill walls uncoursed flint with grey brick quoins to lockup, and hipped old red tile roof with gablets. A small, single-storey rectangular structure facing S, open below except where the square lockup occupies the E 2/5ths, entered from N. 3 heavy chamfered square posts in line on the central long axis support the rest of the structure. Arched knee-braces in the head of the central opening, with a narrower W side-bay. The posts stand on sill-beams aligned N-S with struts to the posts. A longitudinal beam links the heads of the posts and carries 3 heavy cross-ties braced from the posts. The single-framed collar rafter roof stands on heavy wallplates carried on the crossties. The wallplate at the NE corner has head mortice for a corner-post and brace, suggesting that a timber-framed enclosure or lockup preceded the flint-walled one. This has thick boards as a ceiling and a boarded door with barred fanlight. In use as the parish cage up to the early C20. (RCHM (1911)35: Pevsner (1977)72).

Listing NGR: TL4043132850

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 72
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 40431 32850

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101869 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 04:12:38.

End of official listing