This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND)

List entry Number: 1101870

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (CHURCH OF ENGLAND), ANSTEY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Anstey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160226

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4032 ANSTEY ANSTEY (North side)

7/3 Church of St. George 22.2.67 (C of E)

GV I

Parish church. Late C12 central tower chancel and transepts rebuilt in late C13, C14 nave and aisles with 4-bay arcades, C15 top stage to tower, late C15 S porch. Roofs lowered in 1831 and brickwork repairs to parapets but no structural alterations. Carefully restored 1871-2 by William Butterfield (1814-1900) who removed W gallery, rebuilt S end of S transept and refitted the church. Repairs by Sir Arthur Blomfield 1907. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Metal roofs of low pitch behind parapets. A fine cruciform church with chancel, 4-bays clerestoreyed nave, N and S aisles, transepts, south porch and central tower with battlements and spike. Unusual semi-circular lower stages to C13 diagonal buttresses to chancel and transepts and large semi-circular stair projection at SW corner of S transept formerly serving an upper floor here. Corbels and blocked door for former lean-to C14 vestry in NE angle. Chancel has a display of late C13 details with 3 windows on each side of 2-lights with pointed trefoil heads and quatrefoil over. Cills higher on N. At E 2 black lancets flank C19 window, N doorway with unusual label stops, piscina and sedilia in lower part of window and adjoining niche. Moulded string course links the windows and they have jamb shafts and labels. 2 ranges of early C14 wooden stalls with carved misericords. Central tower of 3 stages with embattled parapet and Herts spike. 4 wide C12 round arches form the lowest stage, plain on N and S but W side of E and W arches have ringed roll mouldings (dated by Pevsner c.1200) and jamb shafts with primitive volute capitals C15 moulded timber ceiling. The 2nd stage has small pointed doorways on N and S to former chambers over transepts. 2-light C15 traceried bell openings. Marks of steeper old roofs around tower. N transept 3-light C15 N window over remains of an original door. Late C13 3-light W window with altered rear arch. C15 moulded arch into N aisle. Indent for a brass of a large-cross and margin inscription. Screen incorporating remains of C15 screen. Small piscina at SE. S transept has restored triple lancet windows on E and S, a 1872 double lancet above the S window, and a single C13 lancet on W with deep splays. C15 arched opening to S aisle and at SW a circular turret lighted by a cross-loop. In S wall a fine canopied tomb recess c.1300 with pinnacles, black trefoil tracery, a wimpled head and the recumbent effigy in a long robe. Transept largely occupied by organ but also large iron bound medieval chest. Nave of 4 bays with quatrefoil piers, moulded capitals and moulded 2-centred arches. Quatrefoil C15 clerestorey windows with rere arches, 3 to each side. W window C14 with C15 tracery and wide C14 door with moulded head and jambs. Vigorous C12 font with rounded square bowl ornamented with large carved figures around each corner apparently of mermen holding their bifurcated tails to each side. N aisle has C15 moulded timber roof, 2 2-light Perp N windows, one at W and blocked N door. Mural monument to Ralph Jermin d.1644. S aisle has 2 Perp windows to S and one at W. C15 S doorway together with S Porch with 2-light windows to E and W and walls with blind cusped panelling. 4-centred entrance, moulded with shafts. (RCHM (1911)33-5: VCH(1914)15-16: Kelly (1914)23: Pevsner (1977)70-72).

Listing NGR: TL4042832890

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 15-16
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 70-72
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 23
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 40428 32890

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 09:18:45.

End of official listing