ARUNSIDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1101993

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1979

Statutory Address: ARUNSIDE, LETCHWORTH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARUNSIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:34:31.

Location

Statutory Address: ARUNSIDE, LETCHWORTH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Letchworth Garden City

National Grid Reference: TL 21654 31435

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETCHWORTH LANE 1. 5255 (east side) Arunside TL 2131 SE 13/64 II* 2. 1904-5 by B Parker and R Unwin for their own occupation. Pair of houses. Unwin lived at "Laneside" from 1904-6. "Crabby Corner" was first occupied by Mrs Pearsall, but Parker moved there in 1906 and was in residence until 1935. Two storeys. Five bay south-west front with gabled first floor dormers. Hipped, tiled roofs with moulded red brick stacks of the Yeoman Tudor pattern. Roughcast walls and some red brickwork. Mullioned casement windows with glazing bars. Three storeys, sleeping tower at the south-east corner with hipped roof and French windows to ground and first floor (latter with balcony); second floor with retractable windows to make an open porch for summer sleeping. The tower, which was added by Parker in 1913, is a concept peculiarly characteristic of the Healthy-Life movement at Letchworth, and in design shows the influence of German medieval architecture. Good internal detailing in the Arts and Crafts manner. Graded II* as a style-setter in Letchworth and for its historical associations with the 2 principal architects of the Garden City.

Listing NGR: TL2165431435

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 161869

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing