This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

24, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 24, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1102340

Location

24, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Standon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161093

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Puckeridge TL 38 23 STANDON HIGH STREET (west side) 6/24 No 24 (formerly listed as The 4.12.51 Old George Inn)

GV II

Inn, now a house. C16 or earlier, mid C19 Gothic front. Timber frame roughcast, S gable of panelled fan pargetting, front of red brick with diaper and chamfered white brick dressings and plinth, half-timbered jettied part on right. Steep old red tile roofs. Probably a large open-hall house in origin, with 2-storeyed gabled crosswing at N, square rear kitchen block at SW and gabled stair turret in the angle. High carriageway on N with a room over, separately roofed but with a mock half-timbered C19 jettied gable added on street front duplicating the original jettied timbered gable of the crosswing. Picturesque irregular 2 storeys and cellar street front on E, 5 windows long. On the left a 3 window part corresponding to the former hall with a heavy Tudor- style door up 2 steps on the right of a central 2-storeyed rectangular gabled bay window, with a further window beyond. There is a higher-set window in the brick lower floor fronting the crosswing with a flush cross-window in the jettied upper floor with heavy moulded bargeboard to the red brick nogged timber framed gable. This has heavy bull-nosed joist ends but slighter joists were used when the Cl9 duplicated gable was built alongside to the N. The main range has a wide-span clasped- purlin roof replacing the original, with a long curved soot- blackened timber incorporated. Clasped-purlin roof to kitchen with a large gable chimney. Central chimney in the hall nearer N end. Original framework of rear wall with heavy diamond shaped mullioned 2-light window preserved in depth of structure. Moulded timber corbel added to support axial beam in hall. Formerly The Old George Inn. (RCHM (1911) 209).

Listing NGR: TL3860123399

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 38601 23399

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 06:21:45.

End of official listing