This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC)

List entry Number: 1102394

Location

MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Standon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161026

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Old Hall Green TL 32 SE STANDON CAMBRIDGE ROAD (west side)

1/6 Main School Buildings at St Edmund's College (RC) (formerly listed as Douglass House 24.1.67 under St Bdmum's R.C College, Old Ball Green) II

GV

College. Main block 1795-9, refectory building 1805, both by James Taylor of Islington for the new St Edmund's College formed in 1793 by the amalgamation of the Old Hall Green Academy (RC) with the refugees from the famous English College at Douai founded in 1568. John Sone (d. 1795) gave 10,000 pounds for the New College at 'Old Hall as was heretofore at Doway College'. Low wings c1845 for former chapel to N, and library to S linking to refectory. Yellowish grey brick with stone plinth and 1st floor band. Hipped slate roofs. Darker grey brick refectory and dark red brick low wings. A severe symmetrical building of 3 storeys and attics, 15 windows long, facing E. The projecting 3 windows centre carries a dentilled pediment with oculus and is fronted by a C19 3-bay arched brick portico with glass roof. Composite pilasters and a cornice with 4 balls on pedestals. Similar balls on pedestals in the pierced brick parapet above the dentilled cornice to the main block.

The block is further articulated by the 3 round headed sash windows of the ground floor at each end being set a round headed panels having keystones and alternate voussoirs of vermiculated Coade stone rustication matching the three openings of the centre. The upper floors have recessed sash windows with segmental arches but the central window and the penultimate window at each end have also heavy moulded surrounds. Plainer W elevation of 3 storeys and attics with a central pediment with clockface crowned by a cupola, and projecting rear wings leaving a 9 window frontage. Low wing on N of a high single-storey, 4 windows long with steep slate roof behind a high parapet. Gothick style with 3-light mullioned windows with labels. Matching S wing raised to 2 storeys with similar windows. Refectory at right angles to W front adjoining S wing of 2 storeys and attics with a lofty ground floor partly sunken. 6 sash windows with round headed windows below the stone floor-band and segmental headed windows above with 6/6 panes. The rear half of the whole ground floor of the original block is occupied by a stone-floored circulation space or ambulacrum with a procession of painted medieval figures to designs said to be by Fuhrich of Vienna. The building of the college was an enterprise comparable in scale only with college work at Oxford and Cambridge, but far exceeding what English public schools did at that time (Pevsner (1977) 266- 7).

Listing NGR: TL3716522073

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 266-7

National Grid Reference: TL 37165 22073

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 11:12:17.

End of official listing