This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BROOK END FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROOK END FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1102510

Location

BROOK END FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Ippolyts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162681

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST IPPOLLITTS ST IPPOLLITTS VILLAGE TL 1927 9/69 Brook End Farmhouse 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Brookend Farmhouse)

GV II

House. C17 or earlier W wing brick cased in 1712, main range renovated 1729 and largely rebuilt after fire c.1775. Timber frame exposed on W side of W wing, wing cased in narrow red brick in irregular bond. Main range in red and blue brick. Steep old red tile roofs hipped generally but parapeted front gable to W wing. A large 2-storeys irregular house, set back a little from road facing S. Main range parallel with road has projecting W wing, large rearwall chimney, and an C18 full height rear service block linked to W wing by a formerly open arcaded brick passage recessed into back of house. On S front slightly projecting W wing has 2 plat-bands, moulded coping bricks to raking gable parapet, 2 low, wide flush box sash windows with 4/4 panes and segmental arches, rendered square sundial panel, Brittania fire insurance mark, and iron letters M N S as anchorage for internal longitudinal timbers. Main range has 4 windows to 1st floor, plat-band, parapet, 3 windows to ground floor, and entrance at LH. Flush box sash windows with segmental arches. Sashes altered in early C19 to 3/3 panes with margin lights. 6-panels, half-glazed front door in wooden doorcase with tapered fluted pilasters, full entablature, and dentilled triangular pediment. 3-lights casement window to 1st floor rear of W wing which has a crow-stepped E side to gable fossilised in later addition but moulded raking gable parapet to other slope. Round-arched arcade with fat impost blocks. Inscription inside said to be 'MNS 1729'. (RCHM (1911)130 no.3: inf Mrs. Rance: inf the owners).

Listing NGR: TL1966127139

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 19661 27139

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 04:38:48.

End of official listing