Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1102513

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987



Ordnance survey map of ALMSHOE BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102513 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 04:12:13.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: St. Ippolyts

National Grid Reference: TL 20671 25286


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST IPPOLLITTS WHITE LANE TL 22 NW (South side) St. Ippollitts

4/79 Almshoe Bury 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Almshoebury)


Manor house, now a farmhouse. Mid C13 aisled hall house for Simon Fitz Adam (after 1241) relegated to farmhouse status since c.1374, E crosswing mid C15, W parlour wing early C16, chimney and first floor inserted in hall in C17 (before 1663 Hearth Tax), small rear wing C18, alterations and minor rear additions in C19. Timber frame roughcast with plastered sill, some painted brick casing to ground floor. Steep old red tile roofs with aisle catslide roofs extending down to single-storey level at front and rear of main range. A large aisled house facing N with gabled and jettied 2-storeys wings at each end of front, cruciform chimney set diagonally on square base at centre of roof ridge, 2 canted bay windows to centre with 2 dormer windows. Entrance next to W wing by a half glazed door. Flush box sash window with 4/4 panes on 1st floor of E wing gable, the ground floor without windows. 2-lights casement window to 1st floor of W wing. Gabled brick porch on E side and separate high level door reached by short external ladder on front half of E side of E wing. Jettied gabled rear projection next E wing. Framework exposed internally of 2-bays aisled hall divided by spere truss from half-bay screens passage at E. Capital of post of N arcade visible as part of open truss. Corresponding post of quatrefoil section on S, and above this a fragment of an arch-brace from post capital to tie-beam survives with plain mouldings on one side but carved dog-tooth ornament on side facing the upper end of the hall. Spere truss at E has arch-braces to tie-beam and filled spandrels. 22 scissor braced soot blackened C13 rafter couples survive in roofspace. Open truss and W end truss incorporated passing braces but not the spere truss, and E end truss removed. Crown-post roofs with 4-ways bracing to E wing and to jettied 1st floor chamber projecting to rear of cross-passage bay. (VCH (1912) 26-7: Pevsner (1977)215: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2067125286


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162691

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 26-7
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 215

End of official listing