THE GABLES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1102596

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Statutory Address: THE GABLES, 59 AND 61, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102596 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:23:03.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GABLES, 59 AND 61, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Barkway

National Grid Reference: TL 38450 35531

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARKWAY HIGH STREET TL 3835 (East side) Barkway

9/26 Nos. 59, and 27.5.68 61 (The Gables)

GV II*

Large house, now 2 dwellings. Circa 1620 with a later C17 stair wing Altered and extended c.1900. Timber frame, cement rendered. Some C19 red brick to rear. Steeply pitched tiled roofs with some slates. Broad 3 cell lobby entry plan. 2 storeys and attic. Original entrance between centre and tight bays in a c.1900 closed gabled porch with a 4 fielded panelled door, fanlight, architrave, brackets. Flanking original full height shallow canted bay windows, mullion and transom 1:5:1 lights, small pane casements. To left is a ground floor carriageway through, double doors with a C19 low segmental arched head, moulded surround. Left bay is now No. 59 with a bay window appearing as to right but actually an oriel originally, underbuilt c.1900 when new entrance inserted to far left, part glazed door, brackets to gabled hood. Above each bay are gables jettied out with brattished and moulded bressumers on carved scrolled brackets pierced with hearts. Behind original entrance is a cross axial ridge stack with 3 octagonal shafts. Truncated stack added at left end behind ridge on rebuilt slated shallower rear slope. Later C17 broad lean-to stair wing behind central 'hall' bay. To rear right an original 2 storey and attic wing with a slightly higher ridge was shortened c.1900, refaced in red brick with a plat band, end stack. 2 storey C19 lean-to to rear left with 3 light casements, stack to rear adjoining a weatherboarded and cement rendered former barn. Interior: ovolo moulded bearers throughout, bolection moulded panelling in 'hall' and room above. Mid to late C17 broad open well staircase, barleysugar on squat vase balusters, square newel posts, moulded broad handrail. Fielded panelled doors and an ovolo moulded door surround into stair wing. A 4 centred chamfered brick arched fireplace. Stop chamfered jowled posts. Formerly the Town House and an Inn. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3845035531

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162480

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing