THE NODE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102797
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1981
Statutory Address:
THE NODE COURT, DRIVERS END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NODE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102797 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 13:42:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE NODE COURT, DRIVERS END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Codicote
National Grid Reference:
TL 21989 19788

Details

Drivers End TL 21 NW CODICOTE End (south side)

7/17 The Node Court

8.1.81

- II

Model dairy, now offices. 1928 bv Maurice Chesterton for the American businessman Carl Holmes. The design has its roots in the Picturesque revival and was probably inspired by Marie Antoinette's dairy in 'Le Hameau', Versailles. Circular rendered brick building mainly of 1 storey and attic arranged around a courtyard and covered with a continuous roof of thatch. Plastic casement windows, formerly metal frame. N entrance has broad 2- storey arch set in a wide gable. Offset 1-storey wings each side. On opposite side of courtyard is a 2-storey cottage with timber frame balcony. Large 3-storey tower to the SE with eyebrow. dormers in circular pyramid roof. The circular courtyard acted as turning space for milk lorries. To the SE is a covered way, formerly also thatched, which was equipped with a mechanical bucket conveyor system and leads to the dungery, a low rectangular thatched, hipped-roof structure. The Node set standards for hygiene and efficient dairy farming in England. It resembles contemporary expressionist buildings in Holland. (Country Life, 30.6.1958).

Listing NGR: TL2198919788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
161962
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 30 June, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03087/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss J Johnson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].