OLD STATION HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103011

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1994

Statutory Address: OLD STATION HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD STATION HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 15:34:36.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD STATION HOUSE, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 15547 06480

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST ALBANS LONDON ROAD TL1ONE Old Station House 24/10009

- II

Railway station, now dwelling. Built in 1865 for the Great Northern Railway, with extension of circa 1905. Red brick and split flint work, the latter restricted to the ground floor. Tall ridge and side wall brick chimneys with C20 clay pots, and a Welsh slated roof with deeply- projecting eaves supported on wooden brackets. 'H' plan building, with later extension to left. South-east elevation; 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 outer bays advanced and gabled, and linked by a shallow canopy with a matchboarded eaves frieze. Ground floor of flint with brick dressings, the central 3 bays beneath the canopy, with double doorway to left, and broad 2 over 2 pane sash windows, the upper sashes with curved heads matching the segmental brick arches of the window openings. Advanced bays with coupled narrow sashes to ground floor, and broad tripartite sashes above, with plat band between. 4 sashes to first floor of recessed centre, with wider openings to bays 2 and 4, and a coupled pair of narrow sashes to bay 3. Narrow windows at first floor to inner cheeks of advanced bays. Shallow canopy projects from below first floor cills. Single storeyed contemporary ranges to left and right, that to the left extended pre-1905. Formerly the principal station of the Hatfield to St Albans line, and originally designed as a terminus. The line closed in 1964. The station is believed to now be the oldest surviving Great Northern station south of York.

Listing NGR: TL1554706480

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 163526

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing