THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1103158
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE, SHILLINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103158 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 05:33:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY FARMHOUSE, SHILLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Pirton
National Grid Reference:
TL 14148 31935

Details

PIRTON SHILLINGTON ROAD TL 1431 (North side)

7/171 The Rectory Farmhouse 9.6.52

GV II*

Manor house of Rectory Manor, now a farmhouse. Early C17, altered and brick faced in parts in C18. Alterations 1870-73. Panelling installed in 1930s from Hammonds Farmhouse at Burge End. Clunch and red brick with roughcast timber-framed gables. Steep old red tile roofs. A symmetrical, E-plan, formerly moated house of 2 1/2-storeys, set back beyond forecourt, facing S, with 2-storeys gabled porch and gabled projecting wings. Single-storey hipped C18 brewhouse extends to W and gabled roughcast timber framed stair turret projects at rear. 4 windows to each floor. 3- and 4-lights transomed flush casement windows. Arched brick opening to porch and original heavy studded door in cyma moulded frame, and panelling (reset). Door has bolts and bars and cannot be opened from outside. Central large C17 brick chimney with 5 diagonal square shafts in L-formation to give effect of 9 shafts when seen from front. External sidewall chimneys on outer side of each wing with diagonal shafts. 3-light transomed window to rear staircase, and blocked large 3-lights ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows set on the tie-beams of the roughcast rear gables. Rear gable of W wing has a wide 4-lights pointed wooden Gothick traceried window with leaded glazing said to have come from the church in the Victorian period. Room in E wing lined with panelling from Hammonds Farm c.1931, and carved chimney-piece. Tunnel cut through central stack in 1870s. Former lobby entry with hall on E giving access to parlour in wing. Kitchen or houseplace on W side of stack gives access to divided longer W crosswing and brewhouse beyond. Study and staircase in projection to rear. Clasped-purlin roof to crosswings have collars supporting the single purlin in each slope. Main roof wider with 2 purlins to each slope, the upper clasped by a collar, the lower butt-jointed to the principals. Flat rafters jointed into lower purlin. Central chimney in English-bond.

Listing NGR: TL1414831935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163181
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13778/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].