CHURCH FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103218
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH FARMHOUSE, GURNEYS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103218 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 03:41:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH FARMHOUSE, GURNEYS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Holwell
National Grid Reference:
TL 16541 33412

Details

HOLWELL GURNEYS LANE TL 1633 (West side)

9/18 Church Farmhouse 11.2.75

GV II

Farmhouse. W crosswing c.1500 (presumably associated with former hall range extending to W), late C16 range added on its E side, C18 brick internal chimney to this range, mid C19 brick W block replacing medieval hall range. Renovated 1975. Timber frame on high brick sill, roughcast. Yellow brick W block. Steep old red tile roofs. An irregular 2-storeys house, set back from lane, facing S into yard. E range has 2 windows to each floor and is jettied to front and rear. Flush casement windows of 3-lights and 2-lights on each floor. 4 curved brackets below jetty on S. Projecting gabled W crosswing has a 2-lights and single-light window on ground floor and a 3-lights window on 1st floor. Higher 2-storeys W block set back and projecting to rear has a gabled porch and canted bay to front. The interior of the older parts have exposed timbers. The W crosswing has close-studded walls, clasped-purlin roof, curved wind- braces, and a 3-light original ground floor window later blocked by the E range. This has 2 rooms on each floor, separated by a lobby and staircase, the lower W room a new hall heated originally by an internal timber-framed chimney, with an unheated parlour at E. When built the W crosswing will have been for service rooms and the medieval hall demoted to a kitchen. Only when the chimney was renewed in brick in C18 was a fireplace provided for the parlour also. Blocked doorway on 1st floor with 4-centred arched head formerly from stair. Close-studding and diamond-mullioned window in parlour. Upper rooms in jettied E range both have fragmentary wall paintings stylistically of c.1600. W room has repeated representations of panelling, with panels enclosed in strapwork. Central motif a diamond enclosed in an oval. Dado and elaborate frieze. The E room has a large scale repeat pattern in black on white of a 16-petals rose enclosing an 8-petaled centre. W block comprises a narrow entrance and stair hall, and 4 large heated rooms on 2 floors around a central chimney stack. (Pevsner (1977)209: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1654133412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163028
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 209

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04792/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].