This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AIRMYN FIRST SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AIRMYN FIRST SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1103306

Location

AIRMYN FIRST SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Airmyn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164861

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AIRMYN HIGH STREET SE 72 NW (north-west side) 1/5 Airmyn First School GV II Sunday school, now school. 1834 for George Percy, Earl of Beverley, with additions and alterations of 1891 and C20 additions to rear. Brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. 1-shaped on plan: original schoolroom with C19 entrance and wing to right, and schoolroom extension to rear. Single storey, 3 sections. Schoolroom, gable-end to street, has triple pointed windows with ashlar heads and sills, and wooden Y-tracery, beneath ashlar tablet inscribed: SUNDAY SCHOOL Erected By the Right Honourable the EARL OF BEVERLEY 1834 coped gable with shaped kneelers. Low single-storey projecting wing to right has pointed window with ashlar head, sill and wooden Y-tracery, small chamfered rectangular window above, coped gable with shaped kneelers; similar pointed window to left return, circular window with glazing bars to right return, and bell turret to rear, adjoining schoolroom, with ashlar offsets, string course, and pointed chamfered opening beneath coped gable. Adjoining tripartite entrance section has central pointed doorway with 2- fold board doors with ornate wrought ironwork, beneath coped ashlar gable containing semicircular recessed panel inscribed "1891", flanked by small projecting wings with single pointed Y-traceried windows (that to right with lower mullion removed) and coped parapets. Left return of schoolroom has three 16-pane flush sashes to original section and one 6-pane casement to extension beneath segmental arches; dentilled brick eaves cornice. Built as a Sunday school for 120 pupils, by 1840 it had become a day-school. D Galloway, Airmyn in Days Gone By, Vol 1, 1984, pp 13-15; ibid, Vol 2, 1985, pp 16-17.

Listing NGR: SE7250425555

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Galloway, D, Airmyn in Days Gone By, (1985), 13-15
Galloway, D, Airmyn in Days Gone By, (1985), 16-17

National Grid Reference: SE 72504 25555

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103306 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:07:24.

End of official listing