This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1103317

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: South Cave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164791

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH CAVE CHURCH HILL SE 93 SW (east side) 2/35 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 - II* Church. Mid C13 chancel arch and transept arch, C15 west tower, heightened in C17, chancel 1847 by J L Pearson, south transept rebuilt 1848, north aisle 1859. Small coursed oolitic limestone rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, single-bay south transept, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: diagonal buttresses with offsets, low plinth; 2-light square- headed belfry openings with pointed inner lights. Crenellated parapet. 3- light pointed west window with C19 Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould. Nave: shallow early C19 plinth, two 3-light windows containing Perpendicular tracery under hoodmoulds with face-stops. Transept: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. 4-light pointed south window with intersecting tracery under a hoodmould with face-stops. 2-light pointed west window with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould with foliage stops. Paired C19 cusped lancets under single hoodmould to east wall. Casement- moulded cornice with ballflower; low coped parapet and coped gable. Chancel: high chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Central pointed priest's door in style of late C13; rosettes to imposts. Hoodmould. Sill band to three 2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery under hoodmoulds with face-stops. Ball-flower and diapers to cornice, raised coped gable with cross finial. 4-light pointed east window with curvilinear tracery under a hoodmould with monarch stops. North vestry fenestration is continuous with that of the north nave aisle: 2-light square-headed windows with cusped tracery under a hoodmould with face-stops. Four 2-light square- headed windows to clerestory. Interior: C19 pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying into responds. North nave arcade of 3 pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal abaci and piers. Early C13 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on chamfered imposts and attached shafts and nook-shafts. Similar, smaller arch to south transept; stiff-leaf to imposts. Blocked 2- bay arcade to former north chancel chapel: 2 pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal pier and matching responds. C15 font with angel busts at each corner and blank panels between. Memorials and tablets: wall tablet on south transept south wall recording its rebuilding in 1633 by an Alderman of the City of London, Henry Garwaie: an heraldic shield, bearing an inscription, framed by egg and dart, with strapwork motif over. At the west end of the north aisle is a small coffin lid bearing a foliate cross with, to the left a shield and to the right the incised bust of a man: unknown objects occupy the rest of the field. Adjoining it is an old rectangular font with chamfered sides on pyramid stops: probably C13. In the tower chamber is an oval benefactions board of 1809 bearing a long inscription and painted with sheaves of corn and horns of plenty. It is topped by the figure of a woman with a baby and 2 young children over the word 'Charity'.

Listing NGR: SE9161431008

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 91614 31008

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 04:51:51.

End of official listing