This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SKIDBY MILL AND ATTACHED MILL BUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SKIDBY MILL AND ATTACHED MILL BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1103339

Location

SKIDBY MILL AND ATTACHED MILL BUILDINGS, BEVERLEY ROAD (A 164)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Skidby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following

SKIDBY BEVERLEY ROAD (A164) TA 03 SW (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill 6.5.52 II*

The address and description shall be amended to read:

TA 03 SW BEVERLEY ROAD (A164) (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill and attached 6.5.52 Mill Buildings GV II*

Corn windmill, tower type, built 1821 by Robert Garton, Millwright, for William Watson, raised late 1870's. Brick tower, tarred, timber-framed cap sails and fantail painted white. Circular plan, battered tower with vertical upper sec- tion, East Yorkshire tower mill. 6 storeys and cap. Bottom storey has one Yorkshire sliding multi-paned window, 2 boarded doors and engine drive pulley, also adjoining buildings. Second storey has one multi-paned pivoted window, and one internal door to warehouse. Third storey has 3 pivoting windows as before. There is slatted stage at second floor level with a handrail carried on posts and cross-bracing between. Fourth, fifth and sixth storeys each have 2 pivoting windows as before. There is a circular ogee cup with a ball finial, and an 8-bladed fantail carried on a high fanstage behind it. Fan gearing and lever- type striking gear complete. There are 4 double-shuttered patent sails with a complete set of shutters and striking gear mounted on an iron cross. Bottom storey has engine drive shaft with bevel gears driving a vertical iron shaft, elevator boot, hopper and trunking. Second storey has wood and iron tentering gear for 3 pairs of millstones, governor, meal spouts, vertical iron shaft pass- ing through with bevel gear and pulley, elevator trunking. Third storey has 3 pairs of millstones complete with tuns, hoppers, horses, shoes with screens, quants and mortise-iron stone nuts. Cast-iron upright shaft carries iron great spurwheel and belt drive to governor shaft. Vertical shaft carries a fourth mortise-iron nut engaging great spur, elevator trunking. Fourth and fifth storeys have iron upright shaft passing through, and elevator head. Sixth storey has iron upright shaft carrying cast-iron wallower with wooden facing under. Cap has cast-iron windshaft with wood-rimmed, iron cogged and spoked brakewheel. Wooden brake and lever, fantail gears, striking gear for sails. Attached mill buildings, brick, 2 storey with pantile roofs. North front, to west of mill, with a doorway to the left and two 3-light windows with segment heads, above four 4-light windows. West gable wall has a 2-light casement to each floor, both with segment heads. South front has two 4-light windows with segment heads and above a 3-light and two 4-light windows. To the south-east a further 2 storey range, with a single 4-light window to each floor of the west gable front. The south front has four 4-light windows to each floor, those below with segment heads. Beyond a slightly lower 2 storey range with 3 irregu- larly spaced 3-light windows and above three 4-light windows. The east gable wall has a 4-light casement, and a 3-light window above both with segment heads. The north front has two 3-light casements, 2 plank doors and a small casement all with segment heads, above a small casement and a pair of shuttered loft doors. To the west a projecting range, the east gable wall has a pair of cart doors, and the north front a single doorway.

------------------------------------

SKIDBY BEVERLEY ROAD (A 164) TA 03 SW (west side) 7/97 Skidby Mill 6.5.52 - II*

Windmill. 1821 by Robert Garton of Beverley for William Watson; raised in late 1870s and restored c1974. Tarred brick with timber cap and sails. Conical tower of 6 storeys with projecting timber gallery to the second floor. Scattered fenestration of oblong windows with glazing bars under segmental brick arches. Onion cap, 4 sails, and fantail. Interior: the machinery survives complete and is in full working order: only the sack hoist is missing. There are 3 pairs of stones.

Listing NGR: TA0204833313

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 02048 33313

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 04:26:22.

End of official listing