CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1103410
Date first listed:
07-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOCKINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:51:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOCKINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lund
National Grid Reference:
SE 97017 48145

Details

LUND LOCKINGTON ROAD SE 94 NE (north side) 2/54 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 II* Church. C15 west tower, chancel 1845-6 by Chantrell, nave rebuilt 1853. Ashlar, flat tile roofs. 2-stage west tower, 5-bay nave with south porch and north aisle, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Small trefoil-headed light to lower stage. 2-light pointed belfry opening with cinquefoil heads under hoodmould with face stops and an angel at the apex. Crenellated parapet. 3-light pointed west window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould with grotesque stops. Above, the figure of a praying priest. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. Trefoil-headed lancets, chamfered corbel table, raised coped gable with Celtic cross finial. Projecting south porch has pointed door under hoodmould with foliated stops. Double-chamfered pointed south door to nave. Chancel: high chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets. 3 pointed windows with cusped Y-tracery, pointed priests' door with continuous chamfer: on the chamfer, over the head of the door, is inscribed: 'A DAY IN THY COURTS IS BETTER THAN A THOUSAND'. 3-light pointed east window with curvilinear tracery under hoodmould. Coped gable with flory cross finial. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying into responds, traces of red ochre paint to arch. Above are 3 equidistant praying angels, the central angel apparently supporting a rood. To left and right are flanking tower buttresses corbelled out over moulded bases embellished with foliage. North arcade of 5 bays: cylindrical piers on waterholding bases carry round abaci supporting pointed double-chamfered arches. C12 tub font with blank arcading trimmed back at the base. North wall of north aisle bears a wall tablet in memory of Thomas Delgarno, Vicar, died 1717, and to Mary and Elizabeth, his daughters. Plain marble tablet with good lettering in eared and shouldered architrave under a shallow open pediment. Beneath the tablet is a cherub on a small corbel. Chancel: C15 tomb recess to north wall, now used as a portal to the north vestry. Nearby lies a fragment of an alabaster chest tomb: an angel carries a shield beneath a crocketed ogee. In the north-east and south-east corners of the chancel are medieval effigies of 2 women: that in the north-east corner bears her heart in her hands.

Listing NGR: SE9701748145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164589
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15767/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].