This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1103429

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishop Burton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Feb-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164537

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOP BURTON CHURCH LANE SE 93 NE 8/1 Church of All Saints 7.2.68 II* Church. Early C13 west tower, early C13 nave and C14 aisles rebuilt c1821, chancel and south vestry in geometrical style by J L Pearson 1865. Ashlar, slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel with south vestry. West tower: chamfered plinth. South door of 2 pointed and chamfered orders, the inner on carved corbels under hoodmould. Chamfered imposts. Chamfered string between stages. Paired lancets under round arch to belfry. Low parapet with moulded coping. West wall: projecting carved head to bottom stage, lancet to second stage, similar belfry openings. North side is identical to the south side with the addition of a clock face to the second stage. Nave: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Three 2-light pointed windows with Decorated tracery under hoodmoulds with face stops. Pointed south door of 2 orders with nook-shafts under hoodmould. Four 2-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery, all under hoodmoulds with face stops, to clerestory. Low parapet. Similar fenestration to nave north side. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttress with offset and gablet with blank tracery. 2 easternmost pointed windows of 2 lights with geometrical tracery: the west bay is taken up by the projecting vestry. Vestry south window: pointed, of 3 lights, with geometrical tracery including a transom. Pointed priests' door to east vestry wall with carved nook-shafts all under a continuous string which forms a sill band to the chancel windows. Pointed east window of 4 lights with geometrical tracery under hoodmould. North side: 3 pointed windows of 2 lights with geometrical tracery. Stone copings with ridge cross. Interior: nave west door of 2 pointed orders, the outer square, the inner with a continuous narrow chamfer, on chamfered imposts. Triangular hoodmould. North and south nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Pointed chancel arch of 2 moulded orders on nook-shafts with carved capitals and moulded bases. Rear arches of chancel windows rest on similar, smaller shafts. To south-east corner of the chancel is a C14 piscina: scalloped bowl with foliage and grinning face to sides under a cusped ogee arch with foliage sprigs to cusps. South west end of,nave: a small C12 carved figure, with long, hanging sleeves, inserted into south wall. C18 font: a small moulded basin on a polygonal baluster. Fragments of 2 earlier font basins, one octagonal, lie close by. Monuments: nave west end: black marble tablet with white lettering; a long inscription in Latin to Sir Tobias Hodson, died 1664. Alabaster chest tomb to Rachel Gee, died 1684: a recumbent figure in a winding sheet with a child close by on a slab: quatrefoils and an inscription to the base. Chancel: three brasses. To the north, a chalice brass to Peter Johnson, vicar, died 1460; a lady, died C15. South side: a brass to the Ellerker family: date erased, probably early C16. 2 figures with inscription over.

Listing NGR: SE9905039731

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 99050 39731

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 04:18:12.

End of official listing