CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103466
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD, HEALING

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 02:56:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD, HEALING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Healing
National Grid Reference:
TA 21391 10100

Details

TA 21 SW 5/4

HEALING, STALLINGBOROUGH ROAD (south side, off), Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

4.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Early C13 tower arch, C16-C17 tower, late medieval chancel on earlier foundations; C18 nave: north aisle removed probably in early C18, south aisle removed 1774. Restorations to chancel and tower of 1848-50 included new west door, replacement of tracery in west window. Restorations of 1874-6 by J Fowler of Louth included rebuilding nave north and east walls, inserting new chancel east window, reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Interior renovations to chancel in 1947. Large unsympathetic church hall of 1976 adjoining south side, incorporating 1925 vestry on south side of tower, is of no special interest. Limestone ashlar tower; limestone and ironstone ashlar to nave and chancel. Welsh slate roofs. West tower with west door, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, stages divided by moulded string courses. C19 pointed west door of 5 roll-moulded and filleted orders beneath crocketed ogee hood flanked by pinnacled buttress shafts. Door with Perpendicular- style blind-traceried panels. Pointed 3-light west window to first stage with restored tracery and original hoodmould. Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils and incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals. Line of former nave gable to east side. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Angle gargoyles, restored moulded string course, coped embattled parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, buttresses to centre and east end, pointed 2-light traceried windows, one to south converted to door in 1976. Chancel: ashlar wall tablet in north wall to Elizabeth Lamb of 1685, with recessed inscribed panel flanked by scrolls; C19 pointed 3-light east window with geometric tracery and hoodmould; medieval carved tread to gale. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch on triple-shafted responds with keeled central shafts flanked by smaller plain shafts, plain moulded bases and capitals and octagonal abaci. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner order on plain moulded corbels. Black marble floorslab in tower to Sir Francis Coventry of 1687 with Latin marginal inscription. Wall tablets in chancel: to Rev John Parkinson of 1793; to Rev John Parkinson of 1837 with Latin inscription; to Robert Parkinson of 1822 with carved brackets, cornice and pediment; to Elizabeth Iles of 1834 with carved brackets, moulded cornice and draped urn. C19 fittings and font. Archaeological excavations in advance of building on the south side of the church in 1975 revealed foundations of a C13 south aisle which partly embraced the chancel, and evidence of a pre-Conquest church. Similarities with the towers at Aylesby and Immingham (qv) suggest a date between 1550- 1650. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 272; H Bishop, "Excavations at the Church of SS Peter and Paul, Healing, South Humberside", Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol 13, 1978, pp 25-32.

Listing NGR: TA2139110100

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164425
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bishop, H , Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, (1978), 25-32
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 272

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].