Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103493.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:25:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 21319 00704


TA 30 NW HATCLIFFE MAIN STREET (west side) 6/24 Church of Saint Mary

4.1.67 I - Parish church. C12 nave with C13 blocked north arcade, C13 tower with C14- C15 parapet. Restorations of 1861-2 by Rogers and Marsden of Louth including re-flooring, re-seating, blocking west tower entrance and opening south door, rebuilding chancel and adding new vestry/organ chamber. Square ironstone with limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. West tower with rectangular projecting stair turret to south-east, 2-bay nave with south door and blocked 3-bay north arcade, 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Tower: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs; partly restored 3-light cinquefoiled west window. Belfry has pointed 2-light Y-traceried openings to south and east, and single blocked lancets to north and west. Moulded string-course, coped embattled parapet. Stair turret has small slit window and single trefoiled light. Nave: round- headed chamfered door with plain-moulded imposts and hoodmould; C14 square- headed 2-light trefoiled south window with restored mullion and hoodmould. North side has late C13 pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops flanked by single blocked pointed arcade arches, that to right containing a blocked pointed door with plain imposts and a blocked lancet above, that to left containing a late C13 - early C14 pointed 3-light window with intersecting tracery, hoodmould and weathered headstops. Chancel: buttresses to east and between bays, single and twin C19 lancets and pointed 3-light east window with geometrical tracery. Interior: tower open to nave, with tall pointed double-chamfered arch, the inner order dying into chamfered jambs. Blocked north arcade has pointed double-chamfered arches to outer bays with rounded chamfer-stops, quatrefoil piers and responds with plain moulded capitals, round and square abaci, and moulded bases on square plinths. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with chamfered jambs and restored shafts supporting inner order. In chancel a re-set graveslab to John Hatteclyf of 1549 and part of another to Lyon Hatteclyf of 1552. Vestry contains damaged floorslab to William Hatteclyf of 1551 with inscribed border and figures of knight and lady over inscribed panel; much worn graveslab with lettered border and inscribed cross. Font with C12 circular bowl on restored cylindrical shaft with cable moulding and octagonal base. Shallow former font bowl in chancel with floral boss in centre. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 269.

Listing NGR: TA2131600706


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 269


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05031/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jo Humberstone. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].