BREWERS' ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103556
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
BREWERS' ALMSHOUSES, 99-109, BLANCHE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BREWERS' ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 04:58:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
BREWERS' ALMSHOUSES, 99-109, BLANCHE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
South Mimms
National Grid Reference:
TL 22200 01229

Details

TL 20 SW POTTERS BAR BLANCHE LANE (East side) South Mimms

4/187 Nos. 99-109 (odd) - (Brewers' Almshouses)

GV II

Row of 6 almshouses. 1856 on gable ends. Grey brick with red brick dressings. Slate roof. 4 tall regularly spaced stacks with stone coped parapets on roof divide elevation into 3. 1 storey. In each section is a pair of entrances each with a pointed arch and quoined and chamfered red brick surround. Timber plank doors. Flanking each pair of doors are 3 light casement windows with quoined and chamfered surrounds, rubbed brick heads and stone sills. Dentilled brick course below close eaves. 3 louvred lucarnes. Brick kneelers. End stacks corbelled out from walls with carved arms in panels. 3 flat roofed extensions to rear. Interior not inspected. The Brewers' Almshouses founded in 1687 moved here from Kitts End in 1856. (VCH Middlesex 1976). Included for group value and historic interest.

Listing NGR: TL2220001229

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164239
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/12257/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].