BUSHEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103609
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1949
Statutory Address:
BUSHEY HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUSHEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 05:53:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUSHEY HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1326595202

Details

TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET (South side) Bushey

13/115 Bushey House 14.9.49

- II

Large house, now offices. c.1825 possibly for T.Clutterbuck. Remodelled and enlarged c.1900 probably for E.H.Cuthbertson. Stuccoed brick, ashlar portico. Hipped slate roofs. Originally 5 bays, 1:3:1, extended to sides. 3 storeys. Central entrance and flanking ground floor bays behind a broad hexastyle Tuscan porch with a pediment. Outer bays of original block project slightly. Cross glazed casements. Plat band to first floor. Moulded band to second floor which has 2-light casements that to centre with an Ionic aedicular surround with a segmental pediment. Modillioned eaves throughout. Pedimental gables to outer bays with oculi in blocked moulded surrounds. Flanking 2-storey wings set back slightly. To left 3 bays, to right 4 bays with a ground floor canted bay with a blind aedicular frame to centre, stained glass in ground floor windows. Further right a 5-bay 1-storey passage, 3 windows to central bay, all windows are tall and round headed with traceried heads. Pilaster buttresses. Coped parapet. Garden front: 5 bay central block has a 2 storey bow to centre with 3 windows, balusters in parapet. 3 central windows on 2nd floor have aedicular surrounds as at centre front. A glazed rectangular lantern is in central valley. Pilasters to a moulded cornice with round-arched breaks to centre, coved top light. 2-storey flanking wings with canted bays, that to left with segmental-headed ground floor French windows. In valleys behind each wing are octagonal lanterns with pilasters to moulded cornices with round arched breaks, ogee copper domes. Oriel windows on return walls. To left further 1, 2 and 3 storey blocks with similar features. Interior: entrance hall with triple arcade. C20 block attached to right not of special interest. (VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1326595202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164163
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02277/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr V. M. Geduld. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].