This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1103684



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Elsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165922

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ELSHAM CHURCH STREET TA 01 SW (north side) Church of All Saints 5/19 6/11/67 GV II * Parish church. Cll - C12 origins to tower, nave and chancel, with C13 - C14 north transept and alterations to tower, including west door. Restorations of 1873/4 by W Scott Champion included extensive rebuilding of nave, chancel and transept. Limestone and ironstone rubble and ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof. West tower with west entrance, 3-bay nave with single-bay north transept (now vestry) and 2-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: large diagonal off-set buttresses, chamfered plinth. Very fine door has pointed arch of 4 orders with fillet mouldings on 5 orders of filleted shafts with naturalistic foliate capitals, hood-mould and headstops; string course above. Buttresses flanking door each have recessed C13 carved relief panels, that to right with angel and 5 naked figures, that to left also with figures but much weathered. North and south lancets to first-stage. String course cut by pointed 2-light west window with C19 geometrical tracery, original hood-mould and headstops. 1896 clockface above. Square-headed 2- light belfry openings containing C19 pierced ashlar tablets. Moulded string-course, coped parapet. Low pyramidal spire with wrought-iron finial. Nave: south side has restored lancet and C19 pointed 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery, hood-moulds and mainly original headstops. Pointed 2- light north window with C19 geometrical tracery, original hood-mould and headstops. Transept: C19 pointed chamfered north door with square-headed traceried single-light window and pedimented coped gable above; C14 square- headed 2-light trefoiled east and west windows; re-used Romanesque moulded stone in north wall. Chancel: round-arched chamfered north door with plain hood-mould and carved stops; restored pointed 2-light windows with C19 tracery, hood-moulds and headstops, some of the latter original. String course and coped parapet throughout. Interior. Small round-headed tower arch with roll moulding and restored imposts; small blocked basket-arched opening above with chamfered jambs. Former opening to transept has double- chamfered segmental arch, chamfered jambs and plain imposts. Pointed piscina to south side of chancel. C19 fittings. Former medieval font in tower with plain octagonal bowl and cylindrical shaft. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England : Lincolnshire, 1978, p 232-3; drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0365112550

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 232-3

National Grid Reference: TA 03651 12550


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 11:26:53.

End of official listing