This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1103702

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Saxby All Saints

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165858

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264

SE 91 NE SAXBY ALL SAINTS CHURCH LANE (east side)

7/58 Church of All Saints

6.11.67

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1845-9 by George Gilbert Scott, with some re-used medieval details; tower rebuilt in 1873 by Neville. Vestry added in 1880. Limestone ashlar with Westmoreland slate roof. Late C13 Gothic style. 5-bay nave with north aisle, south porch and tower adjoining south side; 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Nave: buttresses, chamfered plinth; 2- light trefoiled windows with pierced quatrefoils above, pair of west lancets with pierced quatrefoil above. North aisle: 2 lancets and 2 similar 2-light trefoiled windows with quatrefoils, re-set C13 trefoiled lancets to east and west; corbel table with two carved head spouts, coped parapet. Gabled timber porch on ashlar plinth. 4-stage tower with chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, chamfered string courses; pointed chamfered door to first stage, lancets to second stage, 2-light Y-traceried windows to third stage, similar louvred belfry openings to top stage, with clockface of 1893 to east. Cornice, angle gargoyles, embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles; short spire with wrought-iron finial. Chancel: plinth, buttresses, cill band; lancets with hoodmoulds, single pointed 3-light traceried east window. Interior. Arcade of cylindrical piers, octagonal east respond, carved head corbel west respond; double-chamfered round arches. West lancets have nook shafts, moulded arches and hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Double-chamfered pointed arch to organ chamber/tower on carved head corbels. Double-chamfered pointed chancel arch on octagonal responds. Continuous hoodmould to chancel windows; east window with nook shafts and hoodmould with headstops, south east window has a wooden seat below flanked by trefoiled niches cut into the window reveals. Wooden credence shelf on north wall supported on a fine medieval carved head corbel. Monuments in chancel include: finely-inscribed marble wall tablet to Rev John Consett of 1783; marble tablet of 1831 to John Barton and wife Margaret with arms in relief by Skelton of York; large ashlar tablet to John Watson Barton, probably of late 1840s, with richly-carved Gothic-style ornament by R Brown of London. Original fittings include carved ashlar pulpit, carved wooden altar rails and pew ends, and stained glass. North aisle east window painted by C E Kempe, 1876. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 349.

Listing NGR: SE9921916694

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 349

National Grid Reference: SE 99219 16694

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 12:46:59.

End of official listing