This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

KILLINGHOLME NORTH LOW LIGHTHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KILLINGHOLME NORTH LOW LIGHTHOUSE

List entry Number: 1103707

Location

KILLINGHOLME NORTH LOW LIGHTHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: South Killingholme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 11 NE SOUTH KILLINGHOLME TA 177 184

11/72 Killingholme North Low Lighthouse

GV II

Lighthouse and adjoining lighthouse keeper's house, now house. 1851 by William Foale for Trinity House, with later alterations and additions to rear. Brick, smooth-rendered to lighthouse, rough-rendered to house. Slate roof to house. Front to seaward. 4-storey tapered round tower with 2- storey 2-bay house adjoining to left (south); single-storey extensions to left and rear. Tower: prominently splayed-out base, recessed bowed 12-pane sashes with projecting cills to first three floors. Top floor has balcony with plain iron railings, plinth, incised chamfered band, recessed panelled door, small casement and wide 10-pane north-facing window. Ribbed dome with scalloped eaves. Projecting stack corbelled out at top of tower, with 4 octagonal pots. House: projecting enclosed gabled porch to left with C20 door to right side, two 4-pane sashes to front with projecting cills and recessed cambered arches and coped gable with shaped kneelers. Single unequal sash with glazing bars to first floor right. Coped gable with shaped kneelers abutting lighthouse tower to right; hipped roof to left with end stack. Extensions to left in similar materials, with C20 casements and hipped roofs. The lighthouse was used as a signal station for trawlers until 1920. Date of erection and names of wardens recorded on plaque on nearby Killingholme High Lighthouse (q.v.). D. Jackson, Lighthouses of England and Wales, 1975, 104-5; D B Hague & R Christie, Lighthouses, 1975, 218.

Listing NGR: TA1777818443

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975), 218
Jackson, D , Lighthouses of England and Wales, (1975), 104-105

National Grid Reference: TA 17778 18443

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 02:14:52.

End of official listing