Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103712.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 21:40:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Thornton Curtis
National Grid Reference:
TA 09439 18080



9/86 Thornton Hall, pavilion wings and flanking screen walls 19.10.51


Small country house. 1695-1700 for Sir Rowland Wynne; internal alterations, attic, pavilions and screen walls built in 1769, perhaps by John Billington. Attic raised in C19; C20 alterations to left wing. Rubbed red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof to main block, pantiles to wings. Plan: 2-room front, double-depth, with entrance hall to right and stairhall to rear. 3 storeys, 7 bays; symmetrical, the narrow single side bays set back and carrying chimneys. 2 low storey 3-bay pavilions with flanking curved wing walls. Main block has moulded ashlar plinth, quoins to central section, and side bays. Flight of 5 stone steps to central 2-fold 6-fielded-panel door and 8-pane overlight in eared architrave with pulvinated frieze, panelled pilasters and carved consoles supporting broken segmental pediment. 18-pane ground floor sashes in similar eared architraves with moulded cills, pulvinated friezes and segmental pediments. Similar sashes in eared architraves to first floor. Ground and first floor sashes have heavy glazing bars. Bold wooden acanthus modillion cornice. Attic storey, in two builds, has recessed 12-pane sashes with cills and flat brick arches; stone-coped parapet. Side bays have narrow 12-pane sashes to ground and first floor in ashlar architraves with cills; 1769 downpipes in angles have ornate rainwater heads with Wynne arms or monogram. Hipped roof. Axial stack with quoins, pairs of massive lateral stacks of 2 stages with quoins, moulded ashlar cornices. Pavilions in matching style and materials, set forward slightly from side bays: quoins, ashlar cill band, 12-pane ground floor sashes in reveals with flat rubbed brick arches; 3-course brick first floor band, top course moulded, 6- pane first floor sashes in similar openings, and painted stepped and dentilled brick eaves cornice. Hipped roofs; pair of large axial stacks with brick bands and stepped cornices. Screen walls set back to either side incorporate later extensions to house, with curved sections containing round-headed arcades with 2-course brick impost bands, stepped cornices and stone coping. 3 bays to right with ramped wall to right end and later openings for outbuildings. Wall to left has round arch with C20 French windows and 2 similar windows in 5-bay curved arcade to left, continued as coped garden wall. Rear of main house block has chamfered plinth with pairs of 2-light chamfered ashlar mullion cellar windows flanking central 2-fold half glazed door with C20 hood, sashes in flush wood architraves under flat rubbed brick arches, wooden modillion cornice; leaded casement to right side bay; casements with glazing bar to pavilions. Ornate dentilled rainwater head to left side bay inscribed 'Chapman Fecit 1769'. Interior. Entrance hall has fielded-panel dado and moulded rail, stone bolection-moulded chimneypiece, bolection overmantel with fluted pilasters and moulded cornice; round-headed doorway to stairhall with panelled pilasters, keyed archivolt and cornice. Stairhall has very fine open well cantilevered oak staircase with ramped handrail, wide treads each with pairs of column-on- vase balusters with rounded knops; panelled dado with pilasters supporting rail. The 3 main ground floor rooms each have very fine bolection panelling, moulded skirting, dado rail, cornice, bolection chimneypiece with panelled overmantel, large 6-fielded panel doors and fielded-panel window reveals and shutters in architraves: front left has stone chimneypiece with carved frieze and mantlepiece, rear right has round-headed cupboard with panelled pilasters, keyed archivolt and fielded-panel doors. First floor hall has round-headed door with pilasters, keyed archivolt with pulvinated frieze and cornice. First floor rooms each have partial bolection and fielded panelling, moulded dado rail, cornice, bolection chimneypieces and panelled overmantel: chimneypiece to front left has carved frieze. Closets off first floor rooms in side bays. Good staircase to first and second floors, probably original main staircase of 1690's, with pulvino cornice string, moulded handrail and drop-on-bulb balusters with circular knops. Late C18 - early C19 stone staircase to right pavilion with ramped handrail and plain balusters. 3-bay elliptical brick barrel-vaulted cellar. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildin s of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 404-5; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Plans by JB 1760, Nostell Papers, C3441-2; NMR.

Listing NGR: TA0943918080


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 404-405


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16304/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Callan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].