Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 22:55:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
East Halton
National Grid Reference:
TA 14146 18452



10/25 Church of Saint Peter

6.11.67 - I

Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 remainder, with some re-used C12 moulded stone. Restorations of 1868 by J Fowler of Louth included raising chancel and north aisle, new south porch, and roofs to nave and chancel. Ironstone and limestone ashlar tower; ironstone, limestone, chalk and flint rubble and brick with ashlar dressings to aisles and chancel; ashlar porch with some re-used medieval masonry. Slate roofs: Westmorland slate to south aisle. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. 1st stage has C19 restored pointed 3-light west window with trefoiled lights below blank panel. Stepped-in second stage has small west needle lancet and double ogee-headed lancet belfry openings. Moulded cornice, coped parapet. Aisles: chamfered plinth, buttresses, cill bands; C19 restored square-headed 3-light traceried north and south windows and pointed 2-light traceried west windows with hoodmoulds. North aisle has blocked pointed moulded door with hoodmould, south aisle has pointed 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould. Two square-headed 2-light clerestory windows with moulded mullions. Chancel: cill band at level of east windows, cut by arches and windows to north and south. North side has blocked pointed arch with inserted C19 pointed single light window, and blocked segmental-headed doorway. South side has square-headed chamfered door, 2-light plate- traceried window with trefoiled lancets and pierced quatrefoil over, restored pointed 3-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould, and restored pointed 2-light window with Y-tracery. Triple round-headed east windows; C19 oculus to gable. Porch has plinth, pointed moulded outer arch, C14 pointed moulded inner arch with hoodmould. Interior. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with chamfered hoodmoulds on octagonal piers and east responds with plain moulded capitals and bases on octagonal plinths; corbelled east responds with carved fleurons. Narrow restored pointed chamfered tower arch with chamfered imposts. Blocked narrow square- headed former rood-loft door to nave north side. C19 pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on octagonal responds. Chancel has pointed chamfered arch to blocked north door, pointed double-chamfered blocked arch with octagonal responds and plain moulded capitals, perhaps to former chantry chapel or Easter sepulchre; deeply-splayed east lancets with cill band. Nave has re-used C15-C16 bench ends with straight-headed castellated tops and panels with 2-light trefoiled arches and foliate decoration in the spandrels. Mutilated bowl of former medieval font in chancel. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 228; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Stamford Mercury, 13 Nov 1868, p5.

Listing NGR: TA1414218451


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 228
'Stamford Mercury' in 13 November, (1868), 5


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02622/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].