CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1103736
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 08:23:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAURICE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Horkstow
National Grid Reference:
SE 98721 18225

Details

SE 91 NE HORKSTOW MAIN STREET (east side)

7/42 Church of Saint Maurice

6.11.67 GV I

Parish church. C13 tower, nave arcades, north aisle and chancel. C14-C15 south aisle and clerestory. C17 repairs to nave and north aisle roofs; C18 - early C19 repairs to chancel. Re-seated'and interior restored 1868. Restorations of 1898 by R H Fowler included re-facing aisles. Chalk rubble, limestone ashlar and brick chancel; chalk rubble and limestone ashlar tower and north aisle; ashlar south aisle. Pantile roof to tower; slates to south aisle, chancel, porch and vestry; lead and C20 stainless steel roofs to north aisle and nave. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with north and south porches (latter now vestry), 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: 1st stage has buttresses with re-set moulded caps, keyhole slit to west, C19 window to south; plain string course, 2nd stage shows line of former steeply-pitched gable on east face, twin lancet belfry openings beneath pointed hoodmould with carved stops. Stepped and cogged brick eaves cornice, pyramidal roof. Nave: two 2-light cinquefoiled clerestory windows. South aisle: two C19 pointed 2-light windows with Geometric tracery, 3-light east window with C19 head, C14-C15 square-headed 2-light west window with crude Perpendicular tracery. Adjoining vestry has twin C19 lancets. North aisle: plinth to east of porch; two 2-light pointed windows with C19 heads and Geometric tracery; late C13 pointed 2-light west and east windows with Geometric tracery, latter with hoodmould and carved headstops. Chancel: rendered plinth, ashlar quoins, much brick patching in walls; single blocked lancets and C19-C20 square-headed 3-light trefoiled windows in chamfered brick reveals to north and south, two restored east lancets. North porch: rock- faced rustication with smooth-faced ashlar quoins; shafted outer door with pointed double-chamfered arch and hoodmould; foiled opening to west side. Interior. Pointed chamfered tower doorway. North and south arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and fine carved headstops; C13 cylindrical piers to north and early C14'octagonal piers to south, both with plain moulded capitals and bases, semicircular responds to east, keeled responds to west (obscured by plaster on south). Pointed double-chamfered south door in vestry has remains of crude outer shafts. Pointed double- chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels, semicircular to south, octagonal to north. Chancel floor raised 6 steps, with two further sections towards east, each raised 2 steps and with pointed double-chamfered transverse arches above on C19 responds and capitals, those to central arch perhaps re- cut. Encaustic tile chancel floor, C19 roof. Nave roof of plain, heavy oak dated 1609 probably represents lowering of C15 crown-post roof: central jowelled posts have broad down-braces to tie-beams and up-braces to ridge purlin, short struts braced to tie beam and tenoned into principals carry purlins, and tie-beams are braced to later wall-posts on ashlar corbels. North aisle roof has butt-purlins with curved wind-braces; the principals, tenoned through nave wall, terminate in pegged brackets, one dated 1659. C18-C19 staggered butt-purlin roof to south aisle. Monuments: pair of marble wall tablets at east end of nave to Rear Admiral Thomas Shirley of 1814, and Colonel John Tufnell of 1838, with carved ornament on grey obelisk-shaped bases; finely-inscribed oval marble wall tablet to Catherine Ayers of 1759 in north aisle. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 275-6; Associated Architectural Societies' Reports and Papers, 1895, vol 23, pt 1, p xii; ibid, 1905, vol 28, pt 1, p vii-viii; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9871618221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165842
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 275-276
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 23, (1895), 12

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06125/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].