Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 11:08:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheltenham (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 93996 22280



SO9422SW MALVERN ROAD 630-1/12/513 (East side) 12/03/55 Christ Church and adjacent Church Hall


Church and Church Hall. 1837-40 with later additions and alterations. Architects: RW and C Jearrad. Builders: Thomas Newton, Solomon Sims and Joseph Puzey. Apse added and interior remodelled 1888-93 by JH Middleton, HA Prothero and Phillot with 'Byzantine' wall decoration by Sir William Richmond and J Eadie Reid. Stained glass by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake, and Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Monuments mostly by Lewis of Cheltenham. Restored by RW Paterson, 1956. Ashlar over brick with slate roof. PLAN: Regency Gothic in Early English style with a tall Perpendicular-type West tower symmetrically placed in the centre of an elaborately gabled west end with north and south porches, aisled nave, a single preaching box with north and south transepts and apsidal sanctuary; Classicized interior and Byzantine-style decorations to apse. Church Hall attached to south. EXTERIOR: west end: chamfered plinth, buttresses; stepped gabled buttresses to ends and centre with pinnacles, both porches and centre are gabled; outer entrances, pointed doorways have paired plank doors with pilaster between and cusped heads with quatrefoil to apex, 2 orders of roll-moulded arches and hoodmould; central stepped 3-lancet-light window with pilasters between and hollow-chamfer to head; above a clock to gable. Tower enriched with carved decoration, band, two 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular-type tracery above, pierced parapet; octagonal turrets surmounted by finials with pinnacles. Aisles have tall 2-light lancet windows. Church Hall is single-storey with gable-facing to slightly projecting central gable in 3-bay facade. Hood moulds over chamfered lancets, except stepped 3-light Early English window to centre, with moulded architraves and stylised Gothic carving to capitals set on engaged shafts. Plain but similar 3-light window to rear. INTERIOR: has 1837-40 gallery to 3 sides, 2 unclad iron stanchions with 'Gothic' capitals survive in their original form at the west end, those to both sides are Doric, with plinths (the iron stanchions are within); box pews remain to upper stage. Otherwise virtually all 1888-9, with exception of

1865 font. Apse has 2 arches with pilasters with arabesque ornament, tempera frescoes with Christ, the Apostles, St Michael and St George to the dome and the Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity and Presentation to the walls and Resurrection to the reredos. Flat ceiling with oak panels on paired colonnette corbels to transepts. Porches each have open-well staircase with alternate stick and ornate balusters and wreathed handrail; north porch has further spiral staircase. Ornate screen to choir. Coloured marble pulpit. Many wall tablets to members of the military who had served in India and the East India Company who retired to Cheltenham, including James Webster (d.1858) of Hatherley Court, Hatherley Road (qv) also Richard Crosier Sherwood (d.1850) of Suffolk Lawn. Interior of Church Hall not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: ashlar wall with pointed arch attached to Church Hall on south. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as a proprietary chapel to accommodate about 2,000 in anticipation of the expansion of the Lansdown Estate. The architects, RW and C Jearrad were building the Queen's Hotel, Promenade (qv) concurrently. The distinctive and unusual proportions have attracted the attention of many architectural writers: Sir John Betjeman wrote that this is, 'one of the most successful buildings in Cheltenham externally.' (Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham: 1993-: 28,69; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 28-29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850: Cheltenham: 1845-1969: 32; Whiting R: Christ Church, Cheltenham 1840-1990: 1990-; The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 127-28; Sladen T: Notes: 1995-).

Listing NGR: SO9399922266


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Blake, S , Cheltenhams Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883, (1979), 28-29
Sampson, A, Blake, S , A Cheltenham Companion, (1993), 28-69
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
Whiting, R, Christ Church, Cheltenham 1840-1990, (1990)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03637/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Ross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].