THE DEANERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104026
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
THE DEANERY, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DEANERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 13:32:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE DEANERY, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92015 92511

Details

CATHEDRAL CLOSE 1. 1092 The Deanery SX 9192 NE 2/132 29.1.53. SX 9292 NW 3/132 SX 9192 SE 5/132 SX 9292 SW 6/132 II* GV 2. On the site of Nunnery of St Augustine, but re-built as Deanery probably C15. Chapel of this date, much restored. Great Hall, at south-west end, is now 2 storeys stone building with round-headed windows. These contained C18 Peckett glass, but were badly damaged 4 May 1942. Lower room is C16 or early C17 with contemporary panelling, plaster frieze and ceiling. Dining room fireplace was removed here from demolished house called the Chantry. North-east end of house largely modern. Built in a variety of materials with red brick and Heavitree stone walls and slate and tile roofs. C15 Great Hall has an arch-braced timber roof in 4 bays; Minstrels gallery. Other good features of C16, C17 and C18, all restored 1973. All listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9203492514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88935
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/05553/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rex L. Haythornthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].