This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HORNSHAYNE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH AND GRANARY AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HORNSHAYNE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH AND GRANARY AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1104109

Location

HORNSHAYNE FARMHOUSE INCLUDING FRONT GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH AND GRANARY AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Farway

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 88732

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 19 SE FARWAY 5/61 Hornshayne Farmhouse including front garden wall adjoining to - south and granary and ,stables 22.2.55 adjoining to north II* - Farmhouse. Parts are early-mid C17 (maybe some is earlier) but these were incorporated into a major rebuild of circa 1700 by Benedict Marwood, stable added in 1878, main house renovated circa 1900 and kitchen wing refurbished circa 1950. Local flint stone rubble with Beerstone ashlar dressings, the kitchen block is plastered, the stable has brick dressings; stone rubble stacks topped with C18, C19 and C20 brick; thatch roof to house, slate to kitchen wing. Plan and development: U-plan building. The main block faces south. It has a 4- room plan. The central door leads into an entrance hall; the room left of centre, and from the back a corridor leads off along the rear wall to a staircase each end. The larger main stair is at the left (west) end behind a parlour. Both this parlour and the entrance hall share an axial stack which serves back-to-back fireplaces. To right (east) of the entrance hall is a small unheated room and at the left end is a large room, probably built as a dining room. It has an axial stack backing onto the the unheated room. Behind these 2 rooms the service corridor and staircase project further to rear than the rest of the main block. A kitchen rear block projects at right angles and overlaps the right end of the main block. It has a 2-room plan. The first room is the largest and it has a large projecting outer-side lateral kitchen stack. The second room has a gable-end stack but the end was rebuilt circa 1950. Another block projects at right angles to rear of the left (west) end. The 2 rooms nearest the house are unheated. These may have been agricultural formerly (the outer one at the first floor level is still a granary with an external stair). The rest are now domestic. Beyond that is a stable block dated 1878. Both rear blocks were built before circa 1700 but the main block appears to be wholly from circa 1700 although some earlier features are reused there. The kitchen block, including the former service stair, has now been divided off as a self- contained labourer's cottage. The main block and kitchen (east) wing are 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace. The west wing is 2 storeys and the stables have a hayloft over. Exterior: until circa 1900 the main block had a symmetrical 7-window front. At that time the 2 ground floor windows were united to make a wider window. All are circa 1900 mullion-and-transom windows. The central front doorway contains a circa 1700 2-panel door in a solid bead-moulded frame. The hood over is on shaped brackets and is probably contemporary. The roof is hipped each end. At the back of the main block is a 2-window section of original (that is to say circa 1700) oak windows. One of the first floor windows may be a little earlier; it has chamfered mullions. The rest have flat-faced mullions and the larger ground floor ones have transoms. All contain rectangular panes of leaded glass. The east kitchen wing has C20 casements with glazing bars. The west wing on the inner (courtyard) face includes a section of neatly-square flint blocks, presumably from the pre 1700 house. The stable includes a door and 2 windows under brick segmental arches with Beerstone keystones. There is a hayloft loading hatch in the gable-end wall above which is a plaque inscribed EME 1878. Good Interior: the main block contains a great deal of circa 1700 joinery detail. Most of the doorways contain 2-panel doors. The main stair is also contemporary; a fine dogleg stair with closed string, square newel posts with ball finials, flat moulded handrail and large turned newel posts. The service stair is a smaller version. A couple of fireplaces have been exposed and they reused C16 Beerstone jambs, chamfered with urn stops. A bolection chimneypiece removed from one of these fireplaces is stored in the attic. The roof is made up of tie beam trusses. Of the 2 rooms of the west wing one has a C16 chamfered crossbeam with pyramid stops and the other has a C17 chamfered crossbeam with scroll stops. The roof here includes the remnants of one side-pegged jointed cruck truss. The east kitchen wing contains an enormous kitchen fireplace of Beerstone ashlar with a massive chamfered oak lintel. The large oven has been relined with C19 brick. The crossbeam here is chamfered with pyramid stops and the roof above is carried on clean side-pegged jointed cruck trusses. This one of a group of similar Marwood houses in the area is a most interesting house which appears as Hornsheies in 1333. It was occupied by George Haydon in the C16. Present house was built by Benedict Marwood who died there in 1745. Source: Devon SMR.

Listing NGR: SY1957894584

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 19578 94584

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104109 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2017 at 11:07:53.

End of official listing