NETHERTON HALL INCLUDING TERRACES TO NORTH, SOUTH, AND WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104120

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: NETHERTON HALL INCLUDING TERRACES TO NORTH, SOUTH, AND WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHERTON HALL INCLUDING TERRACES TO NORTH, SOUTH, AND WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:33:40.

Location

Statutory Address: NETHERTON HALL INCLUDING TERRACES TO NORTH, SOUTH, AND WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Farway

National Grid Reference: SY 18383 95841

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 19 NE FARWAY FARWAY

3/88 Netherton Hall including terraces - to north, south, and west 22.2.55 GV II

Mansion built by Sir Edmund Prideaux, now used as a school. Dated 1607 parts may be older, it was rebuilt from a ruinous state 1836 - 1844 (the architect was J. Goldsworthy), modernised in 1902. Plastered stone rubble with Beerstone ashlar dressings,the rear (facing east) is exposed local stone rubble with some C19 brick dressings; stone stacks, mostly with Beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts with soffit- moulded coping; slate roof. Plan and development: irregular courtyard plan house built on a flat terrace on a gentle hillslope. The main block faces west-north-west, say west. This contains the 2-main rooms, one either side of a cross passage. The smaller right (south) room is a parlour and the larger left room is the great hall. Both are heated by rear lateral stacks. The front doorway has a 2-storey porch which appears central since a library (former parlour) crosswing projects forward at right angles in front of the left (north) end of the front. The library/parlour has an outer lateral stack and there is the main stair between the library/parlour and the hall. The main cross passage leads back to a large heated lobby in the south wing and at the back of this a stair turret projects to rear into the tiny courtyard. This courtyard is really no more than a light well. The rest of the south wing, the north wing and the east wing house mostly service rooms. Most of the rooms are heated by a series of axial or lateral stacks. The mid C19 rebuilding was obviously massive in scale and it is very difficult to work out how much of the building is earlier since it is clear that 1607 features have been adapted and maybe moved. Only extensive stripping of both external cladding and internal plaster would reveal how much original structure remains. It seems-that the main front block is original with the library/parlour crosswing. Another matching crosswing at the south side is thought to have been demolished in the C19. The courtyard was probably larger originally; the passage rear doorway looks as though it was once external. Some early C17 carpentry detail in the present kitchen/dining room area suggests that there was rear service wings. The house is mostly 2 storeys but parts are 3 storeys and there is a cellar under the south end of the front block. Exterior: the main block has a symmetrical 2:1:2 window front of Beerstone ovolo- moulded mullion-and-transom windows with continuous hoodmoulds on both floors. The 2-storey porch outer arch is a Tudor arch with moulded surround (the passage front and back doorways are similar). Directly above is a lead coat of arms set on a wooden board in a Beerstone frame. The parapet of the main block is carried round the porch and the gable here is a round arch on shoulders and carved as a shell and inscribed with the date 1607. There is a similar fenestration on the north and south sides although the windows are less regularly arranged. The north side includes 2 tall 6-light windows with 2 transoms, one of them at the end of the hall. The south end of the main block includes a C19 Beerstone canted oriel window. The roofs have shouldered gables with coping and some include ball finials. The front of the library/parlour crosswing has stucco quoins. The rear includes C19 timber casements. All the windows contain rectangular panes of leaded glass. At the back one of gables includes a carved plaque recording the 1836 - 44 renovation of the house by Sir Edward Sanders Prideaux. The large kitchen stack has a bell attached under a gabled head. Interior: shows mostly C19 details in Tudor/Jacobean style. The main rooms are panelled and many of the rooms have ornamental plaster friezes in Elizabethan style. The main stair in the library/parlour crosswing is a large open hall stair with twisted balusters, the other stairs have turned balusters. This C19 work covers most of the structural detail although some original Tudor arch Beerstone fireplaces are exposed. Some of the C19 fireplaces have reused or adapted C17 fireplaces and some are new in the same style. The only carpentry exposed are the beams in the present school kitchen/dining room which have deep chamfers and scroll stops. Other early carpentry is thought to survive. For instance the owner reports finding evidence of a gallery in the main hall whilst doing repair work there. The roofs were not inspected. Around the house are a series of C19 terraces revetted with stone rubble and with Beerstone coping. That on the south side is the most ornate. It is flanked by tall walls divided into bays and including gateways with square section Beerstone ashlar posts. The front end is semi-circular with a Beerstone balustrade of large vase shaped balusters set diagonally. Netherton Hall is one of an attractive group of listed buildings which make up the hamlet of Farway.

Listing NGR: SY1838395841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 88759

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing