This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BISHOPS TOWER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISHOPS TOWER

List entry Number: 1104126

Location

BISHOPS TOWER, HONITON HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Offwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 88774

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 10 SE OFFWELL HONITON HILL

1/104 Bishops Tower - 22.2.55 - II Folly tower. Circa 1843 at the cost of the Reverend E. Copleston, Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St. Pauls. Local stone rubble with rusticated grey-coloured limestone quoins and ashlar detail, the stone is facing brick. Italiante style. 6- storey high viewing tower facing south-east with a semi-hexagonal newel stair turret projecting from the left (south-west) side up to third floor level. All the rooms are heated by a rear lateral stack. On the front there is a single casement with glazing bars on ground floor and first floor levels. There is a dripcourse right round the building at second floor level and a large round-headed double arch with imposts and keystone. The window contains Y-tracery glazing bars and there is a stone balcony on shaped brackets. There is another similar window on the right (north-east) side. Above is a narrow round-headed lancet and there are more on the other walls. The top of the tower is machicolated with a series of shaped corbels. Around the top is a balcony of ornate wrought iron railings. On the top is a small square block, open each side with imposts and keystones. It too has machicolated top with an ornate wrought iron parapet and it is surmounted by a wrought iron weathervane. The interior is plainly finished. This tower was erected partly to provide local employment but also, it is said, that Bishop Copleston might view his diocese of Llandaff across the Bristol Channel. The bishop is responsible for a lot of new building in Offwell around the 1840's.

Listing NGR: ST1832100505

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 18321 00505

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104126 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:53:41.

End of official listing