This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1104155



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 88637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/124 Parsonage House (formerly listed 11.11.52 as The Parsonage)

- II

Substantial detached house, formerly the parsonage. Built 1849 for Rev J L Fulford, by John Hayward, Diocesion architect, incorporating material from the medieval tithe barn and parsonage. Snecked Salcombe Regis stone and sandstone, with some volcanite trap; 2-span gabled-end slate roof. Double depth plan house, with entrance hall flanked by reception rooms, the staircase occupying the left- hand section of the rear range. Left-hand external end stack; front and rear external lateral stacks towards right-hand end, each with paired off-sets. 2 storeys. Front: irregular 4-window range; all windows square-headed, the lights pointed and cusped, those to the 1st floor of 2- and 3-lights; ground floor with a paired set of 2-light windows to either side of entrance, and a 2-light window placed in external stack, all under hood moulds. Moulded arch to entrance. Left-hand end elevation: with 2-light pointed window with transom lighting stairwell, and a later single-light window to front range. Right-hand side elevation: two 3-light windows to 1st floor, with hood moulds; 3 uncusped windows to ground floor. Rear: irregular fenestration reusing medieval windows presumably taken from old parsonage; two 2-light windows, square-headed, each light pointed and cusped, to each floor, with a small square single light window in addition to 1st floor and a C20 window added to ground floor. Slated leanto. Interior: contemporary joinery intact including panelled doors and dog-leg staircase; acanthus plaster cornice to main rooms. Some painted glass initials in head light tracery. References: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981), pp.51-4, 238. Rev J L Fulford's sketch and rough plan of the medieval parsonage is in the possession of the present occupier, and is reproduced in Mrs Brighouse's book, p51. Reference to architect in DRO, Faculty Petitions.

Listing NGR: SY0126487689

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brighouse, U W , Woodbury A View from the Beacon, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SY 01264 87689


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 04:19:32.

End of official listing