- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- EBFORD MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104182 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 11:06:10.
- Statutory Address:
- EBFORD MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- Clyst St. George
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 98149 87713
SX 98 NE WOODBURY EBFORD
1/96 Ebford Manor 11.11.52 - II*
Substantial detached house. Built in 1710 for Robert Venn of Woodbury, clothier, with mid C19 and early C20 extensions. Local red brick, in Flemish bond with burnt headers. Steeply hipped slate roof. Rear central staircase plan; double depth with rear wing extended in the mid C19; the principal rooms on the ground and the 1st floors occupy the entire depth of the house. Single storey front wing (originally an organ chamber) of circa 1909. External end stacks. 3 storeys. Front: symmetrical, 1:3:1 bays, the middle bays projecting under a pediment containing a shield; moulded cornice, parapet, rusticated quoining to all angles. Central portico, Greek Doric columns, entablature, the frieze with triglyphs; doorway with panelled reveals and soffit. All windows are hornless sashes, 12 panes to all except 2nd floor which have 3 panes up, 6 down. Single-storey wing projecting left with sash and French windows; the front angles cut away in a concave section. Right-hand elevation: central external stack, the parapet ramped to either side and panelled to shaft; shield and sundial to 2nd floor; the flues are taken up to either side of a central window to ground and 1st floor (see interior); the false 12 pane sash survives to 1st floor, but has been replaced at ground floor level; fenestration otherwise as front. Left-hand elevation: sash windows to either side of external stack, those towards the front blocked. Rear: irregular fenestration; mostly 12 pane hornless sash windows, some under depressed window arches. Interior: principal ground floor room with a complete (and intact) contemporary trompe l'oeil panelling scheme in soft duck egg green; elaborate grey marble chimney piece, with cornice and triglyphs; centre and flanking mirrors, the central mirror acting as a concealed casement window. Opposite this room (to the left of the vestibule) is a reception hall entered through a wide 4-centred arch, now partially filled. Staircase, replaced circa 1840, open-well, wreathed rail and bobbin balusters. Main lst floor room with a later (i.e. C19) and less accomplished trompe l'oeil scheme; marble fire surround, with gilt wooden chimneypiece, fluted half columns and pediment, and plaster of Paris necking and bases; mirror opens out as a casement window. Internal panelled shutters to most rooms. Some smaller contemporary fireplaces. Organ chamber with cardboard pokerwork cornice. Historical note: the rear wing is attached to the old farmhouse (Haydon's Farmhouse, q.v.) in which the Venn family lived whilst Elbford Manor was being constructed. Reference: Ursula W Brighouse, Woodbury, A View from the Beacon, (1981) pp.98, 241, 247
Listing NGR: SX9814987713
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Brighouse, U W , Woodbury A View from the Beacon, (1981), 98 241 247
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing