HAYES RALEIGH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104224

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: HAYES RALEIGH HOUSE, BURGMANN'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAYES RALEIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 14:46:04.

Location

Statutory Address: HAYES RALEIGH HOUSE, BURGMANN'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lympstone

National Grid Reference: SX 98927 84472

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE BURGMANN'S HILL, Lympstone

5/4 Hayes Raleigh House 11.11.52

- II

Large detached house, formerly Lympstone Rectory, and at the time of the resurvey (June, 1985) in multiple occupation. A circa 1700 remodelling of an older house, with later, principally C19 alterations and additions. Mostly brick in Flemish bond, with a cross wing in rendered dressed sandstone, and a left-hand extension in plastered cob. Turnerised slate hipped roofs. Originally a 3-room cross-passage plan house with the service end to the right of the passage and which was heated by an internal end stack of dressed sandstone the brick shaft of which emerges through the front face of the present roof. Part of the roof of this build survives. The hall was heated by an external rear lateral stack of dressed stone which now protrudes into the rear corridor, and is visible externally by a plastered brick axial shaft. A dressed stone parlour cross wing, coeval with or earlier than the 3- room cross-passage plan house now contains the principal circa 1700 rooms. At this time the house was widened by the addition of a rear corridor and rear stairwing, and extended to the right, i.e. east. A rear wing and various single-storey additions at the east, including a conservatory, were added in C19, when the whole house was refenestrated. 2 storeys. Front: 4 window range, each window bay separately gabled under hipped roof, the entrance bay slightly projecting. One 16- and 3 12-pane hornless sash window to 1st floor; tripartite hornless sash windows to either side of main entrance, with 8:12:8 and 4:12:4 panes respectively. Inner face of cross wing with 4-pane hornless sash window with margin panes to 1st floor, 12-pane hornless sash window below. Main door with large panels and HL hinges; canopy with panelled underside, all circa 1700. 2 contemporary lead rainwater heads. The front face of the wing contains no windows, and a small external stack. Single-storey, half-hipped additions to right- hand side, with casement windows, with a late-C19 conservatory; these extensions stand forward of the main front and are joined by another entrance with a stone chamfered arch, set diagonally. A single-storey extension to the principal room, late C19, occupies the angle between the cross wing and the left-hand cob extension of the main range. Rear: some old windows survive: a 12-pane fixed window with thick glazing bars, circa 1700, lights inner face of stair wing; two 1st floor casement windows to main range, one with 15-leaded panes per light, the other (under a segmental window arch) with 18; below, a 3-light casement window with trefoil headed C19 lights, but with circa 1700 (or earlier) deeply chamfered surround. Large, elaborately decorated brick stacks, to end of C19 rear wing, and main-range right-hand end elevation, hornless sash windows to this side. A modillion cornice extends around all the pre- C19 components of the house, and could be of circa 1700. Interior: cross wing front room with 2 tiers of large fielded panels and cyma recta cornice; fire surround and overmantel, all of timber, with original cornice, but the rest much altered retaining some inlaid fielded panels, and reeded pilasters with Ionic capitals that may be original; fielded panel doors to rear, one with Ionic pilasters. Plaster ceiling with simple roundel and moulded cross beams. Cyma recta moulding extends along length of corridor to rear of former external stack and original outside wall of earlier house; fielded panels to either side of cross passage; oak dog-leg stairs, turned fluted newels, bobbin balusters, ramped rail, with associated panelled dado with ramped cornice. Cross-wing front chamber, with concave moulded cornice; fire surround, lugged with elaborate key motif frieze, and central Bacchanalian panel; present bathroom with fielded panel corner cupboard. A C19 fireplace in the main-range ground-floor room to the left of the passage, retains some attractive Delft-type tiles, with varied river and canal scenes with sailing boats and barges.

Listing NGR: SX9892784472

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 88504

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing