CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104271

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, FAWCETT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:08:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, FAWCETT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SZ 65308 99475

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SZ6599 FAWCETT ROAD, Southsea 774-1/14/487 (North side (off)) Church of the Holy Spirit

II

Parish church. 1902-24 to the designs of JT Micklethwaite, succeeded by Sir Charles Nicholson; bombed 1941 and reroofed and restored 1956-8 by Stephen Dykes Bower incorporating nineteenth century fittings by Temple Moore from St Agnes, Kennington, London. Red brick, the walls of great thickness (3'9"), slate roofs save over east end parish rooms, which have a flat roof. PLAN: five-and-a-half bay nave with aisles; two bay chancel, with shorter two-bay chapel of St John, and Lady Chapel set up flight of stone sets over vestry to sides. Choir room and church rooms to east survive less altered after war. EXTERIOR: is austere, set back behind houses and barely visible from road before bombing created a narrow gap site in front. Seven windows to south, nine to north, in Perpendicular style, with wider five-light west window and high three-light windows under steep-pitched gables to east end. Entrance from Fawcett Road has stone surround under flat 1950s porch. INTERIOR: with C19 arcade (but with capitals removed), rear gallery over baptistry, chancel mouldings and steps to chapel, but with arches to Lady Chapel reduced from four to three by Dykes Bower. The whitening and lightening of entire interior, with elaborately painted organ case and ceiling, is typical of his finest work. East window has glass by CE Kempe from St Bartholomew, also bombed in 1941; more Kempe glass, from St Agnes, Kennington, in Lady Chapel East window, and (three panels) in west window; fragments of C19 glass from St Bartholomew's and St Agnes's in Chapel of St John. Altar has been moved forward of East end gradine; fitments in memory of Father Bruce Cornford. Furnishings by Temple Moore, from St Agnes, Kennington, include pulpit with very elaborate Gothic traceried patternwork (1891), choir stalls (1900), font and soaring, elaborate cover (1893). Cast-iron lectern by Bainbridge Reynolds from St Andrew, Worthing. Organ rebuilt in the 1950s. HISTORY: the church was originally built as St Matthew's, for Father Bruce Cornford (1867-1940), incumbent, for whom fundraising and the building of the church was his life's work. He replaced a cast-iron church of 1888 for the new parish by `slow, hard, unlovely beggary', creating one of the most elaborate high Anglican churches of the early twentieth



century, particularly noted for its organ and massive First World War memorial reredos by Nicholson. Its replacement is a far more austere but no less moving building, relying for its effects on the expression of space and focal points of especial interest. St Agnes', itself entirely demolished after wartime bombing, was a key building in the development of the later Gothic Revival, to which these few surviving fittings of exceptional quality and vivacity are a rare clue. Designed by George Gilbert Scott Junior in 1874-7 and completed by Temple Moore after 1880, it was influential on several generations of architects up to and including Dykes Bower, who may be regarded as the end of a distinguished English tradition in high church architecture. (Portsmouth Papers: Hubbock R: Portsea Island Churches: Portsmouth: 1969-: 16, 25; Portsmouth Local Studies Scrapbook: Vol 3: 175; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1967-: 443-4; Brandwood GK: Temple Moore, an Architect of the Late Gothic Revival: Stamford: 1997-: 56-58).





Listing NGR: SZ6516799908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474587

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brandwood, GK , Temple Moore: An Architect of the Late Gothic Revival, (1997), 56,57,58
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 443,444
'Portsmouth Local Studies Scrapbook' in Portsmouth Local Studies Scrapbook, , Vol. 3, (), 175
Hubbuck, R, 'Portsmouth Papers' in Portsea Island Churches, (1969), 16,25

End of official listing