Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104278

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1999

Statutory Address: 247, FRATTON ROAD


Ordnance survey map of 247, FRATTON ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 14:05:02.


Statutory Address: 247, FRATTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 65126 00946


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SU6500 FRATTON ROAD, Fratton 774-1/10/176 (West side) 25/09/72 No.247 (Formerly Listed as: FRATTON ROAD, Fratton The Church Institute)


Church institute, then Victory radio station, now Portsmouth Housing Association offices. 1899-1907. By Sir R Blomfield. Red brick in Flemish bond. Steep plain tiled roof, stone coped brick stack to right. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 bays (1st bay blinded). Far right bay projects and has stone rusticated quoins. At centre is a C20 2-leaf door, flanking pilasters, shaped brackets support flat corniced hood, 2 narrow side casements all set under round gauged brick arch with stone springers and keystone. To left and to right are two 24-pane sashes, each set under flat gauged brick arch with keystone. Prominent full height brick piers on left quoin, between windows and between door and window, each with hollowed stone coping; stone band and projecting plinth below sill level. First floor has 5 16-pane sashes each with segmental gauged brick head and set under pier to pier segmental gauged brick arch. Far left bay is blinded and has stone band on line of adjacent window arch springers. Bracketed projecting eaves. Cupola at centre has square rusticated base, circular window on each side with heavy moulded surround, cornice, angled corners with Doric columns and entablature, 12-pane casement on each side, copper dome with finial. Far right projecting bay has 20-pane circular window to first floor set within gauged brick surround with keystone, stone band at centre of window level, fascia hipped roof. Left return has facing stone coped gable, acroteria at corners and apex, two 24-pane sashes and on first floor a Venetian window within gable with Doric columns and entablature. INTERIOR not inspected. (Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 128 AND 129; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 442).

Listing NGR: SU6511600938


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474594

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 128,129
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 442

End of official listing