CHURCH OF ST MARY, KINGSTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1104279

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, KINGSTON, FRATTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY, KINGSTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:21:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, KINGSTON, FRATTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 65189 00850

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SU6500 FRATTON ROAD, Fratton 774-1/10/256 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Mary, Kingston

GV II*

Church. 1887-9. By Sir Arthur Blomfield. Flint with Bath stone dressings. Plain tile roofs. STYLE: Neo-Perpendicular. PLAN: 6 bay nave and aisles, 2-bay chancel with ambulatory. Lady Chapel to south of chancel (now church hall and kitchen). 2-storey sacristy, organ loft and vestry to north of chancel. West tower, west, north and south porches. EXTERIOR: tower: 4 stages, offset stone buttresses with rusticated quoins and flint infill panels terminating at stage 4 with diamond strip pilasters. South face, 1st stage: stone capped plinth. Lean-to roofed porch with, on left, a 2-leaf boarded door with ornate iron strap hinges set under moulded pointed arch, ogee hoodmould, rusticated jambs. On right are two 3-light Perpendicular style traceried windows, moulded stone pointed arch, ogee hoodmould, rusticated jambs. Flanking diamond strip pilasters. 2nd stage: moulded sillband, similar 2-light traceried window, ogee hoodmould, rusticated jambs. Above window is a clockface with narrow window slot on each side. 3rd stage: moulded sillband and 2 similar 2-light traceried windows. 4th stage: moulded sillband with 2 similar 2-light taller Perpendicular style windows panelled with trefoil headed lights. Embattled parapet, crocketed pinnacle at each corner. West face - 1st stage: high moulded stone plinth. At centre 2 stone steps approach a recessed 2-leaf boarded door set under moulded pointed arch springing off paired colonnettes, ogee hoodmould, moulded stone jambs. Flanking diamond pilasters each terminating with pinnacle above arch level. Traceried stone panels over doorway. Upper stages similar to south face. North face similar to south. Octagonal stairs access turret to left. South facing aisle has on far left a low projecting porch with 2-leaf boarded door, pointed stone arch and jambs similar to west entrance. Stepped offset buttresses each terminating with stone pinnacle, facing stone gable with traceried stone panels. Each left and right return has 3 recessed flint panels. Embattled parapet. To left of porch and to right 3 Perpendicular style 3-light windows, each with hoodmould and rusticated jambs. Flanking stepped buttresses. Moulded stone band and embattled parapet. Nave has 6 paired 2-light Perpendicular style clerestory



windows, flanking stepped pilasters each rising to diamond pilaster and crocketed pinnacle. At junction of nave with chancel is an octagonal stairs access turret with at top a Tudor type flat arch and traceried window to each face. Embattled parapet. To right of aisle is the projecting 2-bay Lady Chapel with two 5-light wide Perpendicular style windows with hoodmoulds, rusticated jambs. Flanking stepped buttresses with diagonal buttress to each corner. Embattled parapet. To right of centre buttress is a small projecting porch with 2-leaf boarded door, flat pointed moulded stone arch, lean-to stone slab roof. Similar window on right return. Pedimental embattled parapet. The chancel lower and narrower than the nave with stepped offset buttresses each rising into a crocketed pinnacle has to east face a large 7-light Perpendicular style window with hoodmould. North and south faces have similar 3-light window. Facing shallow pitch parapet gable. Below window sill is a projecting ambulatory passage with boarded door to north and south returns, each set under stone pointed arch with hoodmould. At centre is a 3-light Perpendicular style window with hoodmould. To right of chancel the 2-storey vestry, sacristy and organ loft has Tudor-type flat-arched window, moulded sillband to second floor with 3-light traceried window. North face has aisle, nave and chancel windows all similar to south face. To right of north aisle within the 5th bay is a projecting porch with 2-leaf boarded door with ornate iron strap hinges set under moulded stone pointed arch with rusticated jambs. Flanking panelled pilasters, stone parapet. At far left (east) the 2-storey vestry, chapel and organ loft with diagonal stepped buttresses and stone capped plinth has 4-light Perpendicular style window set under 3 centred arch. Second floor stone sillband and 3 long narrow lancet traceried windows, each with hoodmould. Facing gable with stone parapet, gargoyle at each corner. Stone stack on left. INTERIOR: lofty open interior. Nave arcades have octagonal stone piers, capitals with castellated tops, moulded pointed arches, rolled hoodmoulds with small ogees above arches rising as shafts up to the roof corbels. Similar shafts rise from corbels between springing of arches. Coved hammer beam roof, gilded angels support hammer off stone corbels which continues over part of the chancel as a timber barrel vault. The north chapel opening has wide 3-centred stone moulded arch with carved foliated spandrels, moulded cornice with carved bosses. Above is the delicately carved oak organ case with trefoil headed panels. Behind organ case are 2 tall 3-light wide stone traceried open screens. Chancel sanctuary opening with moulded stepped intrados to



pointed arch, flanking colonnettes. To left face of chancel arch is a doorway leading to the vestry, organ loft and ambulatory passage. Within right face of arch is doorway to Lady Chapel. At east end of chancel is an ornate wood panelled and traceried reredos set against panelled wall surface with large arched rib intersecting the panel pattern. Above is the 7-light Perpendicular style window with stained glass. To north of chancel are 2 recessed panelled wall surfaces traceried and set under moulded pointed arch with hoodmould. Lower part of north side right-hand panel has opening set under flat pointed stone arch. Upper tier with moulded stone band has on right a Perpendicular style window and on left panelled wall surface with similar rib tracery pattern as window. Window and wall panels are flanked by colonnettes from which spring the Lierne vaulted ceiling with carved bosses at rib intersections. South face has similar window and wall panels. Vestibule at west end with doors leading to north and south porches. Main west entrance door and 4-light window with stained glass. Engaged column at each corner of vestibule from which spring the vaulted ceiling. 2-leaf door to nave set under stone pointed arch springing from flanking pilasters. West face on nave side has recessed panels and pilasters. STAINED GLASS to aisle window by Burlison and Grylls c1890-1920. FITTINGS: delicate cast-iron chapel screens. Wide octagonal stone pulpit with sub-structure embellished by miniature vaulting. MONUMENT: cartouche in north porch to Thomas Bowerbane 1761. HISTORY: the original medieval church survived until 1843 when it was replaced by a church designed by TE Owen. This was demolished in 1887 and replaced by the present Church. The foundation stone was laid by Queen Victoria's eldest daughter Empress Frederick of Prussia on 9 August 1887. (Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, London N19: 1970-: 60, 61; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 128; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1973-: 441, 442; The Portsmouth Papers: Hubbuck R: Portsmouth: 1969-: 12, 13, 14; Offord J: Churches, Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island: Southsea: 1989-: 57).





Listing NGR: SU6511600938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474595

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Balfour, A, Portsmouth, (1970), 60,61
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 128
Offord, J , Churches Chapels and Places of Worship on Portsea Island, (1989), 57
Pevsner, N, Lloyd, D, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1973), 441,442
Hubbuck, R, 'The Portsmouth Papers' in Portsmouth, (1969), 12,13,14

End of official listing