INDIA ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104305
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1996
Statutory Address:
INDIA ARMS, 30 AND 32, GREAT SOUTHSEA STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of INDIA ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104305.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 13:35:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
INDIA ARMS, 30 AND 32, GREAT SOUTHSEA STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Southsea
National Grid Reference:
SZ 64012 99349

Details

PORTSMOUTH

SZ6499 GREAT SOUTHSEA STREET, Southsea 774-1/13/349 (West side) 15/04/96 Nos.30 AND 32 India Arms

GV II

Public house. North part 1902 by AE Cogswell; south part formerly Fishmonger and Game shop 1900, which formed the extension to the public house c1980. Red brick in Flemish bond. Interlocking tiled roof, brick stack to left and right. South part-painted and yellow brick in Flemish bond. Roof obscured. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 + 2 bays. On right the north part has at centre a wide canted timber transomed and mullioned recessed pub front with fixed glazing, 3-lights wide at front and 1-light to each side, lights divided by slim moulded pilasters to transom level. Centre light has semicircular broken head with ornate moulded spandrels. Each light has etched patterned glass, painted brickwork below sill. To left and right of bay set within recessed area is a 4-panelled half-glazed door with overlight, etched patterned glass to left door. Flanking wall within recess of each entrance has a patterned tile mural with date 1902. Pilaster to quoins with moulded cap. Fascia and dentilled cornice. First floor with rusticated stone quoins has 2 canted tripart oriels each with 4-pane sash at front and narrow flanking sashes divided by pilaster, flat roof, frieze and band cornice; semicircular gauged brick arch with moulded hood and keystone, stuccoed infill with leaf motif sculptured relief. Facing stone coped brick half gable, brickwork and semicircular stone apex with sculptured shell relief. Moulded stone copped brick parapet. On left the south part has late C20 front infill with blinded doorway and overlight at centre and to left and right a shallow projecting canted casement with brick on edge below sills. Flanking brick pilasters, each with heavy moulded leaf motif capital and dentilled cap. Fascia and cornice. First floor has 2 large recessed 4-pane unequal sashes each set under flat gauged brick arch with moulded stone architrave. Stone pilaster to quoins each with dentilled cap and fluted shaft, base with semicircular shaped top. Moulded cornice, stone parapet with moulded copping, small stone pediment over each pilaster. At centre is a recessed stone pediment with ball finial and date 1900. INTERIOR: 2 tiled murals by Carters of Poole, 1 depicting a game shooting scene and the other fishing boats and fishermen.



Listing NGR: SZ6400999349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
474672
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14331/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Glyn Edmunds . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].