NORMANDY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104361

Date first listed: 05-May-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: NORMANDY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 307 AND 309, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORMANDY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:38:48.

Location

Statutory Address: NORMANDY HOUSE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 307 AND 309, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 94669 22770

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHELTENHAM

SO9422NE HIGH STREET 630-1/9/413 (North East side) 05/05/72 Nos.307 AND 309 Normandy House and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North East side) Idmiston House)

II

Formerly known as: Segrave House HIGH STREET. Villa, later hospital, now offices, and attached railings. c1810-20, shown on The Post Office Map of 1820, with wing to left of 1839 added as wards for 40 in-patients, and later alterations including restorations of c1990. Ashlar over brick with concealed roof to right and slate mansard roof to left, brick off-centre left stack to main range; iron area railings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 windows with added 3-storey and attic, 2 first-floor window range to left (north). Panelled pilasters to full height between windows and to ends throughout, frieze and cornice with blocking course to main range. 6/6 sashes to main range, taller to ground floor, with multi-pane windows at left. Main range has central entrance a 6-fielded-panel door with side-lights, wide arched patterned fanlight and distyle Doric porch with architrave, frieze and cornice with blocking course. Range to left: to second floor a frieze and cornice with low balustrade. Some 15/15 sashes remain to left return. INTERIOR: many original features survive; hallway has niche to right and winding open-well stone staircase with shaped cantilevered treads and stick balusters with wreathed handrail, embellished with a panel of scrolled wrought-iron ornament to landing; semicircular upper hallway. Hallway has inner doorway with fanlight with decorative glazing bars; coving. Main ground-floor reception room to right has embellished acanthus cornices and ceiling friezes; archway between front and rear rooms has fluted architrave and flowers to corners. Windows have panelled reveals and shutters, 6-panelled doors with reeded architraves; first floor retains embellished cornices. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: area railings have X-motif (some replaced). HISTORICAL NOTE: Shown on Merrett's Map of 1834 as Segrave House, probably after William Fitzhardinge Berkeley who became Lord Segrave in 1831 (and Earl Fitzhardinge in 1841); it is reputed that the villa was sold in 1839 and converted into



Cheltenham's first General Hospital and Dispensary, when a wing to the left was added. However, George Rowe indicates that this was built as a dispensary in 1813 (the year the Cheltenham General Hospital and Dispensary is known to date from), with wards for 40 in-patients added in 1839. In 1849 the hospital was closed when a new one opened on Sandford Road, however, the building was used as a hospital for officers invalided from the Crimean War (1853-6). Following this the wards were reputed to have been used as dormitories for female student teachers, prior to the erection of Shaftesbury Hall, St Georges Place (qv) in c1869. Cheltenham Civic Award for Restoration, 1991. (Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 93; Hart G: A History of Cheltenham: Stroud: 1965-1990: 159).



Listing NGR: SO9466222770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 474789

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hart, G, A History of Cheltenham, (1965-1990), 159
Rowe, G, Illustrated Cheltenham Guide 1850-196993

End of official listing