BOW BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104443

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1977

Statutory Address: BOW BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOW BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104443 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:05:57.

Location

Statutory Address: BOW BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Hartland

National Grid Reference: SS2460724762

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLAND ABBEY PARK SS 22 SW

3/157 Bow Bridge 2.6.77

- II

Road bridge over Abbey River. Medieval with C18 or C19 widening and C20 parapets. Slatestone rubble. Two narrow straight-sided openings with 2-centred arches of rubble voussoirs. The west face has a cutwater on the central pier and its abutments are canted. The east face has the same arrangement but no canting to its abutments. Development: the downstream (west) half of the bridge is earliest and suggests a hump-backed form with the carriageway narrower than the approach road and a refuge on each side. From underneath it can be seen that the bridge was later widened by building against the upstream (east) side in like manner. The soffits of the widened arch differ from the original in that put log holes still show how the centering for the arches was carried. In recent times the roadway on each side has been raised up to eliminate the hump, the parapets have been rebuilt with half-round tops and the refuges eliminated. This picturesque little bridge is probably a remnant of pre-Reformation Hartland Abbey. The earliest reference to Bow Bridge is in 1682 but probably it is also referred to in 1605 - 6 when "the governors of the church goods" paid Francis Bremelcombe a ls l1d in allowance of mony by hym defraid in repairing Abbey Bridge". Source: Hartland and West Country Chronicle April 1911 - Bow Bridge R. Pearse Chope.

Listing NGR: SS2460724762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91223

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Hartland and West Country Chronicle' in April, (1911)

End of official listing