- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BLEGBERRY FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104470.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 00:30:06.
- Statutory Address:
- BLEGBERRY FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 23152 26226
SS 22 NW
1/117 Blegberry Farmhouse 22.11.52
Farmhouse. Early C17 possibly 1627, considerably extended throughout later C17 - early C19. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. 5 stone rubble stacks with dripcourses and tapering caps - axial and gable-end. Rendered brick stack to gable end of rear wing. Plan: complex development of plan the original form of which is not entirely clear. What appears to be the original longer, range runs north-south and was probably of 3-room plan (although somewhat altered now). There is no evidence of a passage but the doorway into this range opens into a small lobby in front of an axial stack (with a dated overmantle of 1627 on the first floor) serving 2 rooms; it is not certain however, that this is the original entrance. In a rectangular projection behind the right-hand room is a winder staircase. A long wing projects to the west of the house with a stack dated 1634 on the outside - this may be deceptive though since the stone could be re-used. A definite date cannot be described to this range but it may also be C17. Further additions were made to the house at the right-hand end and at the rear in the form of a small wing during probably the C18 and early C19. The house underwent further remodelling in Victorian times. A description of the plan of this house cannot omit mention of the defensive courtyard wall to its south and west (q.v) which itself is dated 1606. The discrepancy in dates between house and courtyard wall may not be of great significance since an overmantel could easily be added and in fact an illustration of a plaster ceiling in the house now destroyed (Chope, facing p.182) is more suggetive of a date around 1600. Exterior: asymmetrical L-shaped 6-window front - 3:3 1st floor windows are all gabled dormers with late C20 pvc sashes and a similar window on the ground floor to the left. The larger north-south range has a C20 20-pane sash on the ground floor to the right with a plank door to its left - these are in a recessed addition to the main range. Large C20 3-light small-paned casement to their left. Small lean-to porch against left end of main range has been continued as C20 conservatory around front of wing, with glazed door. To the left of this wing the main range continues with a C19 lean-to built against its front. Rear of main range has early C19 16- pane sashes on 1st floor to right with a later 20-pane sash below. Wing projecting to left of centre has a tall early C19 16-pane sash. Beyond the wing is the rectangular stair projection at the rear of the main range. A probably C19 tall stone rubble wall encloses a rear courtyard with a mounting block on its outer face. Interior: most features date from C19 remodelling but there still survives a 1st floor plaster overmantle with a date of 1627 and the initials WMA within a strapwork surround. Adjoining it is a C17 door and doorway and two C18 doors also survive on the first floor. The Atkyns were one of the more important Hartland families and there were 2 consecutive Williams whose dates were 1578-1608 and 1599-1662. The first was responsible for the courtyard walls and the second William for the plasterwork in the house following his marriage to Margery Cliverdon of Titchberry in 1623. He is also reputed to be responsible for building or rebuilding Marsland Manor in Morwenstow parish (q.v.) Sources: Studies in Building History: Cornish Houess 1400 - 1700 - E. M. Jope, The Book of Holland - R. Pearse Chope.
Listing NGR: SS2315226226
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Jope, E M, Studies in Building History Cornish Houses 1400-1700, (1961)
Pearse Chope, R, The Book of Hartland
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing