- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- DOCTON MILL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104472 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 14:24:30.
- Statutory Address:
- DOCTON MILL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 23437 22743
SS 22 SW HARTLAND
Former mill and mill-house. Some C17 fabric, mill probably enlarged in C19, the buildings were restored and the mill partly converted in 1980. Stone rubble walls, whitewashed to the house. Gable-ended natural slate roof. Rubble axial stack and smaller probably rebuilt one at left gable-end of house. Plan: the house and mill are at right angles; the house to the west consists of 2 heated rooms but the gable-end stack to the left-hand room may be an insertion and the whole room could be an addition. The mill forms a cross-wing at the right-hand end of the house. Its top floor has been converted to accommodation but it retains its wheel on its right-hand wall. C20 extensions built at rear of mill. Exterior: 2 storeys, mill 3 storeys L-shaped front with mill projecting at right- hand end. The house has an asymmetrical 2-window front of late C20 2-light casements apart from one of 4 lights on the ground floor to the right. The left- hand part of the house is taller. C20 gabled stone porch to left of centre with stable-type door. The mill has a door on its inner face with a C20 2-light casement above. On its front end wall the ground rises to a doorway on the top floor with glazed double doors. The right-hand wall of the mill retains the late C19 overshot iron wheel with a wooden launder leading to it. To the right on the top floor a balcony has been created during the recent restoration with glazed doors behind which have a small gable over. Large lean-to built against the rear wall of the mill - probably C19 but extended in the C20 with a small gabled C20 wing adjoining it. Interior: C17 axial fireplace has chamfered and step-stopped wooden lintel. Wany roughly chamfered ceiling beam. Most of the mill machinery was removed earlier in the C20 and what survives was put in the late 1930's and comes from Newton St Petrock mill. A Rate made in 1682 mentions Docton Mill at a value of o12. Source: Corn and Fulling Mills - Notes of the Past - R Pearse Chope: Hartland Chronicle August 1909
Listing NGR: SS2343722743
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Chope Pearse, R, 'Hartland Chronicle' in Corn and Fulling Mills Notes of the Past, (1909)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.