This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST LEONARDS COTTAGE (NORTH)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST LEONARDS COTTAGE (NORTH)

List entry Number: 1104480

Location

ST LEONARDS COTTAGE (NORTH)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hartland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLAND SS 22 SW

3/149 St Leonards Cottage (north) -

GV II*

Cottage formerly chapel. Late C15 or early C16, converted to cottage probably in C18 or early C19. Stone rubble walls roughly coursed with a little cob at the top of the front wall. Thatch roof hipped to left end, gabled to right. Brick axial stack. Plan: originally probably single cell chapel open to the roof, its plan was completely altered by conversion into a cottage of 2 rooms, the left-hand room heated, with an outbuilding beyond the stack. The building may have been extended to the left of this at the time since its original roof structure does not continue all the way along. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1-window front of circa early C20 2-light casements to left of centre on each floor, the 1st floor one is a half dormer with small gable in the thatch above. C20 plank door to right. All these openings have flat stone arches over. C19 plank door to outbuilding to left. Rear elevation has the reveals and chamfered granite surround for an original window on the ground floor to centre. The central mullion and most of the head has gone but evidently there were arched lights. Further to the left is evidence of a blocked doorway. C19 2-light casement on 1st floor to left of centre. Interior: the only surviving original feature is a wagon roof on the first floor with moulded ribs and chamfered wooden wall-plate. This is a very rare survival of a building which can be identified as a late medieval chapel and forms a very interesting group with the adjacent house (q.v). In the mid C19 parts of stone tombs or graves were dug up in the ground to the west of the building. Source: The Ancient Chapels of Hartland - R Pearse Chope: Hartland and West Country Chronicle May 1915

Listing NGR: SS2488923884

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Hartland and West Country Chronicle' in May, (1915)

National Grid Reference: SS 24889 23884

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 04:30:05.

End of official listing