Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104676.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 12:35:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 35435 99648



3/4 Eastacombe Farmhouse - II Farmhouse circa late C17 core, circa mid C19 addition. Stone rubble probably with some cob under the eaves, slate roofs, the C19 wing hipped at ends, the main range gabled at the left end, the left end slates replaced with corrugated iron. Axial brick chimney shaft to main range, rendered stack at front end of C19 crosswing, projecting stone stack with set-offs at rear end of C19 crosswing. The main range was originally a late C17 2 or 3 room and through passage plan, the lower end under a corrugated iron roof is now in use as an outbuilding and does not appear ever to have been heated. The hall stack is at the inner end of the hall. There may have been an inner room to the C17 range but this is not certain as the C19 crosswing to the right abuts the inner end of the hall at right angles forming a T- plan. Rear service rooms including a former dairy were added to the rear of the main range, probably in the C18, under lean-to roofs. A stair was inserted in the through passage in the early C20. 2 storeys. The main range is approximately symmetrical with a central gabled open- fronted stone porch and a C20 front door. A barn door to the left leads into the lower end. First floor window left above the barn doors is a 3-light casement under a timber lintel. First floor window above the porch is a 2-light casement, 6 panes per light, ground floor window right is similar. The left return of the crosswing to the right has C19 casements, 4 panes per light and a C20 glazed lean-to in the angle with the main range. Some of the windows in the right return of the crosswing are late C20 replacements. Interior The roof trusses are circa early C20 replacements but 1 circa late C17 collar rafter pegged truss with a broken principal rafter exists below the new roof over the hall and a second similar truss has been truncated above collar level. The hall fireplace has been partly blocked but the original jambs and lintel are said to exist behind the present arrangement. 1 early C18 2-panel door to the first floor. A remarkable slate sundial is fixed to the front of the house and dated 1737, "the time is shown at all hours of the day at Jerusalem and Barbadoes, while noon tide only is shown at Goa, Ispahan, Constantinople, Candia, Vienna..." (Crowley) and 7 other cities. "Sundials in North Devon", Jeanie Crowley, T.D.A., 1957, vol. 89, pp 175-191.

Listing NGR: SX3543599648


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 89, (1957), 175-191


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/13222/01
Rights: © Dr Ann Allen. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].