This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOWLING GREEN WALLS AND GAZEBO

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOWLING GREEN WALLS AND GAZEBO

List entry Number: 1104789

Location

BOWLING GREEN WALLS AND GAZEBO

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Torrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 90445

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. BARLEY GROVE 1735 Bowling Green walls and gazebo SS 4918 4/4 19.3.51.

II

2. Mainly C18 or earlier. At east end of Castle site. Ground falls away to east and south. There has been a bowling green here since C18 if not earlier. The Reverend John Swete describes how the green was temporarily destroyed and a "pleasure-house" dismantled by Mr Rolle in 1789 owing to unseemly and blasphemous behaviour of those using them. In early C19 Barley Grove was "laid out and planted" by Mr John Yeo, mayor of Torrington. The walls surrounding the bowling green may be of this date, stones from the old Castle probably being used. There is little other evidence of lay-out now remaining. At south east corner is an octagonal gazebo; (the pleasure-house of 1789?). The base of this is buttressed on the south and east below the level of the green itself. Front is of rusticated stone with round-headed opening, the other sides roughcast and with sunk panels. Sash window in round-headed panel, south east, overlooks the valley. Octagonal roof of slate with ball finial at apex. Added brick lean-to, east.

Listing NGR: SS4970218945

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 49702 18945

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 06:33:17.

End of official listing