PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104815 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:54:32.
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 39514 81400
SX 38 SE KELLY KELLY
5/82 Parish Church of St Mary - 21.3.67 GV I
Parish church. Chancel partly C14, restored 1760, nave and north aisle circa late C15, porch and vestry 1865, west tower rebuilt 1885. Nave dressed stone brought to course; vestry and porch dressed stone; tower, aisle and chancel ashlar. Scantle slate roof to vestry and north aisle, asbestos slate roofs to nave, chancel and porch. C14 build probably nave and chancel of which one respond survives. North aisle and north chancel chapel added circa late C15 when the nave may have been rebuilt. C16 fenestration to nave. Major restoration of chancel in 1760. South porch and adjoining south west vestry 1865. Largely Perpendicular church with 5-bay north aisle, 2 bays to the chancel. Chancel masonry ashlar on chamfered rubble plinth, granite dressings. Plaque in east gable reads "Done by John Bollon, 1710". On the south side of the chancel two 4-light arched untraceried granite windows have "R E 17 10" on the label stops, for Richard Edgecumbe, rector 1702-1769. Coped east gable, 5-light C19 Perpendicular east window under a hoodmould, and a 1-light pulpit window under a square-headed hoodmould. North aisle with buttresses with set-offs, angle buttresses to east and west ends. Coped east gable, plinth differs from chancel. Good 4-light C15 Perpendicular chancel east window, deeply recessed in a moulded architrave with hoodmould and label stops, mullions replaced. 4 C15 Perpendicular windows to aisle have hoodmoulds and label stops. Westernmost bay of aisle has arched moulded doorway under a square hoodmould with carved label stops, spandrels also carved. 3-light Perpendicular west window to north aisle has hoodmould and label stops. Large 3-stage battlemented west tower rebuilt in 1885 has set back buttresses with set-offs and crocketted corner pinnacles on octagonal shafts. Tower has plinth and moulded strings marking stages. Internal north west stair turret. Arched moulded granite west doorway has decorative carving below square-headed hoodmould, trefoils carved in spandrels. Deeply recessed 3-light west window with Geometric tracery below hoodmould. West face of tower has 4-centred arched moulded opening at bellringers' stage in moulded rectangular architrave. 2-light arched belfry openings on all 4 faces of tower. The tower has unusual run- out stops below the battlementing. Irregular 1865 vestry and porch with asymmetrical coped gable. The vestry has a 2-light Decorated C19 window and a stone chimney carried on corbels. 2 quatrefoil lights to east wall of porch. Arched moulded outer doorway to porch below blind trefoil in gable. C19 collar rafter porch roof, granite arched inner doorway. Interior Moulded south respond of chancel arch probably C14 with capital including carved heads (q.v. Lifton). Moulded chancel arch carried on granite corbel on spandrel of north arcade, chancel arch presumably rebuilt when north aisle was added. Similar arch carried on corbels between north aisle and north chancel chapel (q.v. Lifton) which may have been a chantry. Piers of north arcade Pevsner 'A' type. Some variations and replacement to carved capitals. Segmental pointed tower arch carried on moulded responds with capitals. C19 unceiled waggon roofs with carved bases. C19 rectangular bench ends with blind tracery decoration. Rectangular late C19 pulpit with blind tracery. Plain octagonal font on shaft and base probably C15 but recut in the C19. The east window of the north aisle contains some important late C15 glass which was in the east window in a fragmentary condition before 1879 when it was restored by Baillie and Son of Wardour St. who repainted parts of the medieval glass, added some C19 glass and re-designed the window as single figures: Edward the Confessor, the Virgin Mary, re-crucifixion and St John, with angels in the head tracery. The glass was originally given by Mr Tremayne of Collacombe on the occasion of a Tremayne-Kelly marriage. The west window of the north aisle commemorating Admiral Benedictions Kelly, died 1867 is in the mosaic style and probably by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. The tower window, the easternmost window of the north aisle and the east window all by Lavers and Westlake. 3 slate memorials to the Kelly family fixed to the east wall of the north aisle: 1514 to Oliver Kelly; 1605 to Thomas Kelly and 1627 to William Kelly. Wall monument to Richard Edgcumbe, died 1710 fixed to south wall of chancel: 2 columns support an entablature with a segmental pediment, oval inscription table below.
Listing NGR: SX3951481402
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing