Coombe Trenchard


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Coombe Trenchard, Lew Trenchard


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104816.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 11:18:52.


Statutory Address:
Coombe Trenchard, Lew Trenchard

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 44917 86086


SX 48 NW 3/84

LEW TRENCHARD Coombe Trenchard

GV II House. 1906, designed by Sarel for Henry Sperling, contractors Dart and Francis of Crediton. Partly stone rubble with granite dressings, partly clad with timber framing, partly clad with weather boarding. Two-span pantile roof with hipped ends and gabled bays, five tall brick shafts with moulded cornices, one on a projecting stone stack with set-offs.

Eclectic Vernacular Revival style with a free use of C17 features in conjunction with an Italianate tower on the garden front and a rear loggia. Irregular plan under a deep roof with gabled projections to the rear, left end and front. Two storeys. Asymmetrical five window garden front with central gabled projection and a tower adjoining the front right corner. To the left of the front projection the facade is clad with timber framing, the rest, including the tower is stone rubble and granite.

A recessed timber door on the front to the left of the projection is under a long timber lintel. Windows throughout have square leaded panes: those to the left of the projection are timber casements and include one ground floor transomed window, those in the projection and on the right hand are granite mullioned windows with one canted timber bay window to ground floor right, and one hipped attic dormer.

The three-stage tower has lights with round-headed arches and raking angle buttresses dying into the wall. The tower has two louvered slit windows facing the garden and the top stage has lights with round-headed arches carried on colonettes. The main entrance to the house is at the rear under a first floor projection carried on stone columns with moulded plinths and bases forming a loggia under a canted bay and with tile hanging above. To the left of the entrance are three slightly advanced timber frame gables.

Interior not inspected but said to be complete and to have an interesting gallery feature.

Coombe Trenchard was originally the site of the Rectory which had fallen into dilapidation by the early C20 when Sabine Baring-Gould, squarson of Lew Trenchard, sold it to Sperling and built a new rectory closer to the church. The Sperlings were close friends of Baring-Gould and Henry Sperling financed the new pulpit in the church of St Peter in 1900. Dart and Francis of Crediton worked on a number of important buildings in Devon in the late C19/early C20 and were Caröe's chosen contractors for church work in the county. A photograph of Coombe Trenchard, circa 1910, exists in the Dart and Francis office.

Dart and Francis Devon C19 Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX4491786086


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dickinson, Bickford H C , Sabine Baring Gould, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13615/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Macpherson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].