GREYSTONE BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1104822
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
GREYSTONE BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREYSTONE BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 22:05:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREYSTONE BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lezant
County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradstone
National Grid Reference:
SX3683980344

Details

BRADSTONE part in LEZANT SX 38 SE 5/6

Greystone Bridge

21.3.67

I

Road bridge over River Tamar. 1439 with later repairs. Thomas Mede, Abbot of Tavistock gave generous contributions towards building costs. (Alexander). 27 December, 1439 Bishop Lacy granted an indulgence of forty days to all penitents contributing towards erection of bridge. Roughly coursed snecked slatestone and ashlar with freestone dressings to four of the eight arches. Stone rubble parapets and moulded granite strings and copings. Five, almost semi-circular arches of 7 metres span springing from imposts 3 metres above the water level. Four of these arches have freestone dressings with arch rings. The fifth to the west has a possibly C18 dressed stone arch. Between the five arches, on both sides, are cutwaters which continue up to form refuges, corbelling out at the base of the parapet above the chamfered granite moulded string. This string is mitred at the corners where it changes level. To the west, a four-centred dressed stone arch over the flood plain. Two similar arches on the east with a small cutwater between, continued up to form a refuge. The arches over the flood plain have possibly been rebuilt. The moulded string above looses its mitred corners where it changes level. Henderson in 1928 only described two flood arches. The roadway, formerly paved, over the bridge is 3 metres wide. The parapets are splayed on the east and west. Approaches to the bridge were formerly considerably steeper and were altered for the stage coach between Tavistock and Launceston. Compare with Horse Bridge to south, 1437, probably the same architect. The estate of the Abbots of Tavistock, Endsleigh, extended down to the river between Greystone Bridge and Horse Bridge.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1219394. That entry was removed from the List on 17 August 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17 August 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
92252
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Balchin, WGV, The Cornish Landscape, (1983), 178
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928), 49-50, Figs 15,16,22,23
Jope, E M, Studies in Building History Cornish Houses 1400-1700, (1961)
Alexander, J. J., 'Tavistock in the Fifteenth Century' in The British Architect, , Vol. 69, (1937), 265
Other
Devon Sites and Monuments Register

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10954/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J. Rippon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].